When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vacheron Constantin Pics/vid

vric

One of my friend wanted this watch, so before I give him I took few minutes to take picture of it.

Some of you already seen this watch, but I wanted to have fun with my new camera.

For those that always wanted to see what a fake tourbillon looked like, I made this small video. Maybe it could help some people to make their mind before buying one. Enjoy.

175209-8633.jpg

175209-8634.jpg

175209-8635.jpg

Cool video, thanks. I've never actually seen a real tourbillon movment - how does this fake differ?

From vric's outstanding video (man that's a nice camera, good job!) you will notice that the top skeletal plate is really just a big second hand rotating every 60 seconds. The balance wheel, armature and pallet heads underneath are stationary in this fake tourbillon. In a true tourbillon the balance wheel, armature and pallet heads would be rotating every 60 seconds to supposedly offset the effects of gravity which causes the balance wheel to oscillate irregularly. This really only applies to pocket watches that were worn in one position on the body, so moving a tourbillon to the wrist really is only there for adding a complication and really serves no purposes other than that. To have the heart of the watch rotate is indeed a very complicated, difficult and delicate bit of engineering, thus the high prices. Chinese now have it out for $1000 - $1,500 in a pretty fugly looking movement. Carousel tourbillons are different and cheaper, at around $600 - $800 USD but some argue it was not designed like the original Breguet, so therefore it shouldn't qualify or be called one, its been a long running debate for WIS since they first appeared. Now that was more than you really wanted to know I'm sure.

From vric's outstanding video (man that's a nice camera, good job!) you will notice that the top skeletal plate is really just a big second hand rotating every 60 seconds. The balance wheel, armature and pallet heads underneath are stationary in this fake tourbillon. In a true tourbillon the balance wheel, armature and pallet heads would be rotating every 60 seconds to supposedly offset the effects of gravity which causes the balance wheel to oscillate irregularly. This really only applies to pocket watches that were worn in one position on the body, so moving a tourbillon to the wrist really is only there for adding a complication and really serves no purposes other than that. To have the heart of the watch rotate is indeed a very complicated, difficult and delicate bit of engineering, thus the high prices. Chinese now have it out for $1000 - $1,500 in a pretty fugly looking movement. Carousel tourbillons are different and cheaper, at around $600 - $800 USD but some argue it was not designed like the original Breguet, so therefore it shouldn't qualify or be called one, its been a long running debate for WIS since they first appeared. Now that was more than you really wanted to know I'm sure.

No no, that was great, thanks for the information! One of the reasons I love coming here is that people are so willing to educate :)

You can see some real one here:

Most impressive Tourbillon I have ever seen: (man this thing is hot)

WOW. You're right, that gyro tourbillon is f-ing amazing. If I had one of those I don't think I could take my eyes off it!