When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Winder Settings

Will85251

Hello,

I just purchased a watch winding machine for my small, but growing, collection. The machine has the following 4 settings to choose from:

1. Rotation Clockwise - The turn table rotates for 1 minutes and rests for 20 minutes, then repeat (TPD 650)

2. Rotation Counter-clockwise - The turn table rotates for 2 minutes and rests for 28 minutes, then repeat (TPD 900)

3. Rotation Alternating counter-clockwise and clockwise -  The turn table rotates for 3 minutes counter-clockwise, and rests for 27 minutes.  Subsequently, the turn table rotates for 3 minutes clockwise, and rest for 27 minutes, then repeat (TPD 1350)

4. Rotation Alternating clockwise and counter-clockwise - The turn table rotates for 10 minutes clockwise, and subsequently rotates for 10 minutes counter-clockwise.  The operation repeats for 1 hours and pause afterwards for 7 hours.  After that, the operation starts again. (TPD 1800)

For replicas, is there a setting that generally works best?  Specifically, I'm curious about Asian 2813 and Asian 2836 automatic movements.  Any insight of advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks in advance for your help.

Will

Depends on your watches. Some wind in one direction, others are bi-directional winding. The a2836 which is a clone of the ETA 2836 is bi-directional. The a2813 probably the same, although I can't be sure. Miyota movements wind only in one direction. We're me, I would set it on# 3. See how it works, possibly try #4 if 3 isn't what you want. I suspect that either will be OK.

M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most winder makers have a listing of recommended winder settings for various watch models on their website. If not, start at the highest bi-directional setting & run for 72 hours. Then, set it to the next lowest setting & run for 72 hours. Keep lowering & running for 72 hours until the watch slows or stops, which means the winder is running too slow to keep the mainspring charged. Set the winder for the next highest setting & leave it there. The idea is to set the winder to the lowest setting that will result in the mainspring remaining fully charged. Movement equates to wear, so the least movement that will keep the watch running is the goal.