When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review Of My Modded Mbw 1665 Drsd (by Palpatine)

Ingo

Here is my first review of my very first replica.

First the story!

I started with a mbw - not usual for beginning a replica collection, but after getting into touch with some german fellows around here including Tommy (palpatine) I came to the knowledge I won

post-3308-1168293038_thumb.jpg

post-3308-1168293113_thumb.jpg

post-3308-1168293136_thumb.jpg

post-3308-1168293147_thumb.jpg

post-3308-1168293161_thumb.jpg

post-3308-1168293169_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ingo

Nice watch. Tommy is quite good at doing mods.

"Helflands buys from same source as Rolex".......Hmmmmm, I think not. I have both a Halflands and a GENUINE Rolex Tropic 39 flat top and the difference is miles apart. There is a small bevel on the edge of the Rolex crystal and the acrylic they are made from is different. You can tell by the way it refracts light. That's why Helflands is $10 and a Gen Rolex one $100!!! The springbars also look too small a diameter for the lugholes. Either the lugholes are too big or they are not genuine springbars. Lughole 1.3mm diameter and springbars 1.2mm diameter.

I would also question the statement about the insert being the same. I can't see any serifs on the fonts as you can on a genuine Rolex insert.

As I said before...Nice watch though. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Nice watch. Tommy is quite good at doing mods.

"Helflands buys from same source as Rolex".......Hmmmmm, I think not. I have both a Halflands and a GENUINE Rolex Tropic 39 flat top and the difference is miles apart.

Looked to me like he was referring to the insert/inlay and not the crystal. But my question would still be who or where did Rolex OEM the inserts from 35 or however many years ago? :)

EDIT: OK I stand corrected. I reread the original post. Hehe, so yea, the source might be the same but the look of the crystal definitely is not. :)

Hi!

I was not standing next to the machine when my insert and my tropic were produced... I just tell you what they told me :whistling:

I was told, the tropic comes from the same factory which produces ROLEX genuine tropics ( I was NOT told this is a genuine one in a different wrapping) and the insert also comes from a Rolex supplier.

If not, who cares... both are very good.

Concering lugholes/springbars: I don´t know. My pics are so bad I even don´t see it myself!

In real it seems to me there is no space around the springbars so a bigger diameter could not be fittet...

Please watch this gen:

179625-7650.jpg

Do you see the difference you mentioned?

Concerning insert:

If you´d send your gen 1665 to Rolex Service, would you get a new insert with serifs?

No, you wouldn´t!

You´d get a metall-ringed pearl insert without serifs!!

Like this one, the only differce to mine is the missig pearl and the applied arcrylic dot!

Hm??

Concerning the tropic: Please watch this gen one (on a gen 1665)

179625-7651.jpg

My pic is much worse (I´m still learning) but this is exactly the bevel my 10$ tropic has!

Please view the pic attached here, its a better pic of my beveled t39 Helfands.

Anyway: I love my new watch and I think it is a good one to start replica collecting :-)

Regards, Ingo

post-3308-1168297546_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ingo