When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

******breaking News******* Andrew And Joshua Have The Ingenuier Amg Chronograph In Titanium!

tonton2000

Sorry to sound smug, but saw this 'new item' on Andrew's site couple of days ago. To be honest, I find IWCs a bit of a snooze-fest so I didn't post.

I would be interested to know though if the Ti matches gen in appearance. The pics look like it has a grainy almost large grain bead-blasted appearance, most unlike the matt 'smooth' finish of Pam and Omega Ti reps.

Sorry to sound smug, but saw this 'new item' on Andrew's site couple of days ago. To be honest, I find IWCs a bit of a snooze-fest so I didn't post.

I would be interested to know though if the Ti matches gen in appearance. The pics look like it has a grainy almost large grain bead-blasted appearance, most unlike the matt 'smooth' finish of Pam and Omega Ti reps.

Pics of the gen I have seen also had that bead blasted look..... I'm not a fan of it. I saw a guy on Paneristi had his 177H bead blasted and then tried to sell it... He could barely get $3k for it.

I agree, most Ti reps look and feel grainy. I don't know what the big deal is about titanium watches anyway. The whole concept of weight saving in watches seems a bit silly. When I hand over my 220gm SMP Chrono to someone who wants to look at it closely, the usual reaction is a faux dropping of their hand to the floor with an exclaimation of "Wow, is this heavy enough for you? don't you get tired wearing this all day?" I usually say "Do you get tired of wearing those pound and a half shoes on each foot all day long?" I no more notice the weight of the watch I'm wearing as a burden than I do the 5 pounds of clothes I'm wearing. When I pick up a lightweight titanium watch, my reaction is almost invaribly, "This thing feels light and cheap". I like a heavy watch. It suggests ruggedness and quality.

I agree, most Ti reps look and feel grainy. I don't know what the big deal is about titanium watches anyway. The whole concept of weight saving in watches seems a bit silly. When I hand over my 220gm SMP Chrono to someone who wants to look at it closely, the usual reaction is a faux dropping of their hand to the floor with an exclaimation of "Wow, is this heavy enough for you? don't you get tired wearing this all day?" I usually say "Do you get tired of wearing those pound and a half shoes on each foot all day long?" I no more notice the weight of the watch I'm wearing as a burden than I do the 5 pounds of clothes I'm wearing. When I pick up a lightweight titanium watch, my reaction is almost invaribly, "This thing feels light and cheap". I like a heavy watch. It suggests ruggedness and quality.

I like the look of smooth/brushed titanium. My titanium Seawolf Avenger has a smooth finish. The 177h is smooth too. It's a nice change of pace and has nothing to do with weight for me. But, one CAN have too many Ti watches IMO.

Simple answer to your question-

In the summer heat, or during strenuous activity (no laughing in the back there!), I get allergic reactions to the nickel in stainless steel. Titanium does not give a reaction, therefore I like to have a lot of titanium watches! It is nothing to do with the weight factor at all, just a practical use.

I heard about this watch last night, but wait to see how the Asian 7750 movement holds up with the running seconds at 6 (same as on the Portuguese Chrono and the SS AMG Ingenieur).

Simple answer to your question-

In the summer heat, or during strenuous activity (no laughing in the back there!), I get allergic reactions to the nickel in stainless steel. Titanium does not give a reaction, therefore I like to have a lot of titanium watches! It is nothing to do with the weight factor at all, just a practical use.

I heard about this watch last night, but wait to see how the Asian 7750 movement holds up with the running seconds at 6 (same as on the Portuguese Chrono and the SS AMG Ingenieur).

...you better take your watch off for screwing...LOL! (same with socks)..just kidding

On the rough finish of the IWC, other folks are right that IWC gens are rough as well - at least on a gen GST Chrono I saw a couple of months ago. I didn't have the rep right next to it so I couldn't directly compare but the gen is definitely "rough".

Yes you are right - I tried on the gen Titanium ingenieur last week and it wasnt smooth. Having said this - the colour is even and smooth and sometimes in the reps you can see darker and lighter areas:S

I cant remember the last link in the bracelet being a lgihter colour though!