When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Inverse Gmt

Pugwash

I recently saw a Fortis GMT watch and the 12 was printed at the top of the dial and the 24 was at the bottom. It looked so unnatural, yet there it was. It gnawed at me as I wandered the shop until I realised. The hours mimic the sun. The GMT hand traces the path of the sun as it rises and sets.

It made so much sense. Since then, My Rolex GMT has the 12 at the top of the bezel and the 24 at the bottom. It takes very little time to get used to and you instantly get an impression if the day/night with the GMT hand. Am I wrong or does this seem to be the by far better way of doing it?

183516-6544.jpg

Try it, you may like it.

I think the usual use of the rotating bezel on a GMT watch is for using a third time zone... You would rotate the bezel by one increment per hour or time zone. So, if home time is San Francisco (GMT-8) and third time is New York (GMT-5), rotate it three increments counter clockwise which would be +3.

The path of the sun as a 24 hour hand is kinda cute, though. "By far a better way" though? Nah. A neat twist for sure, though!