Jump to content
RWG
earloflondon

Shellac and Sandarac Filled Sandwich Dial for 6152/1

Recommended Posts

This is the dial that came along with my dsn case a couple of months ago. I was thinking of filling the indices with something I was familiar with and I talked about it with Kilowattore. White and brown shellac mixed with sandarac resin as a hardening agent. I tried different methods to fill the indices, and my experience was that the good old French polishing was the easiest and I had a better result with, if not the best. It's still not level with the upper level, still, I'm gonna keep experimenting. The typical French polishing exercise on a small surface such as this leaves a thin layer each time I pass over inside the indices and removes some paint from above the dial due to the alcohol content and friction while leaving again a thin layer of material. Both ageing and filling can be achieved at the same time. Lengthy still successful process. The pics show the result. Again, remember that there is still some more cosmetic work to do.

 

Day one25f5672e4cee7ffd656947bbb22d12a7.jpgce6e35482c702b4b3a7df38f54ac4a67.jpg16d2e7adc3b8cb57c622abe6ed8b7bff.jpg

 

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using Tapatalk

 

 

Day two0029f654665e35937d1ab9397d6dac59.jpg5b7873283762e8b1f96d21e9cf22f357.jpg5a09a5c1a859b4269f3d06a3b91107d2.jpg9a0470342847e787be00b53cf66a5d21.jpg234d7a882c9a032226575e62bf215131.jpga208aaf1b667c4c5180b8c7fc77783ed.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The process is called french polishing. I used my original method of guitar polishing method. Covering the whole surface with a thick level of shellac, filling the uneven parts, and french polishing until the surface becomes smooth and level

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, my method didn't work out well as it does on wooden surfaces. And I decided to get rid of the white printing on the Marina Militare as well. So the shellac adventure did turn up like this. Though the indices were not filled as they should I think I will not go on dealing with it anymore and leave it as is... ef8ad3286ee3005c8972f91401e54a63.jpg3c650b7848688824d2da2319ce04b438.jpgd3fa43f3bccd2a2769844d37dd3c43fd.jpg3a3fd11bb1b582b0487b3f201643e1c3.jpg3488872dedf8658c0ba79afbe4b824d1.jpg12ff4ca9efa059cb13e9e987afd0ff44.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After so many trials and errors I decided to remove the black paint to leave the bare brass as a base and filled the indices with clear epoxy. I'll use it as is. Here are the pictures087ca72e7f3015653b8a674ad6269348.jpge6435e642e6e193e4b339bb594c9e406.jpgdffafbcdc44b766e57fe65ffe0b53069.jpge6dcdf5f0f037b6c79fe9fe52edee547.jpg59a7f87c520a1e6dd4852f7968aea0bb.jpg5bda6c6df28ec82e7dde426f8948ab2f.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...