When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Power Reserve Problem

dadog13

So I got from a member a IWC Porto Chrono Laureus...the watch from the very beginings had a problem with the rotor...the little screw that is keeping him tight to the other part of the mvt is unscrewing itself and the rotor then is waffeling....and the watch has no PR...yesterday i wound it fully...40-50 turns...and it run only for 1 hour...and when the watch is on the wrist it runs a little bit more...but it stops often...

Is the rotor broken?...is just that or maybe sometrhing else?

every comment is appreciated...THANKS!

Edited by dadog13

I have 2 of these ( one IWC Portogeese Crono Laureus and one Panda ).

The Laureus is almost same as yours, only it have maybe 10-15min PR. Also stops on the wrist. So is only useful as a paperweight right now.

Think it is just the movement that is not able to drive the "sec at 6" transfer gear setup as described by The Zigmeister :black_eye: (Check his repport about this model)

A full service might help for some time, but only permanent fix is probably to remove the extra gears and just "freeze" the second's hand. The crono function will still be ok.

My Panda runs perfectly on the wrist, but have only 4-6h PR so is also a "timebomb" that can stop anytime.

I have a similar PR problem with my Porto Panda. It would run all day on my wrist but stop within 30 mins of taking it off, despite hand winding in addition to the auto winding. Mine is with The Zigmeister at the moment to transplant a standard 7750 into it. This will mean no running secs and an hour counter at 6. I can choose to either leave the chrono running constantly or not, but at least I will have a working timepiece.

So I got from a member a IWC Porto Chrono Laureus...the watch from the very beginings had a problem with the rotor...the little screw that is keeping him tight to the other part of the mvt is unscrewing itself and the rotor then is waffeling....and the watch has no PR...yesterday i wound it fully...40-50 turns...and it run only for 1 hour...and when the watch is on the wrist it runs a little bit more...but it stops often...

Is the rotor broken?...is just that or maybe sometrhing else?

every comment is appreciated...THANKS!

Seems like you have a number of problems, most likely the biggest is the running seconds at 6.

No idea what is going on with the rotor, that is a first for me. If you wound the watch 40-50 times, it should run for 40 hours or more...

RG

Seems like you have a number of problems, most likely the biggest is the running seconds at 6.

No idea what is going on with the rotor, that is a first for me. If you wound the watch 40-50 times, it should run for 40 hours or more...

RG

i wanted to hear badly your comment The Zigmeister....and i tought it would be : no probl, that is an easy fix....

i know that these reps with running sec at 6 are problematic....but not like this...i'll bring the rep to my watchsmith so he can see if anything can be done...

BTW...the rotor thing...it is held on the mvt with a small screw...and this screw keeps unscrewing itself in 1-2 days when i tighten it up...

Sorry I wish I had better news...

Not sure what the rotor problem is, I have never seen a rotor unwind like this.

Have your watchmaker check that the mainspring click is working fine.

If that is good, I would have him remove the dial and hands, and take the bridge off and see if the watch runs (doing this will remove the 5 gears for the seconds at 6). If the watch starts and runs as soon as he removes this bridge, you know what the problem is... I have seen this happen, watch stops, remove gears, watch starts again...

Or it could be something like a bad beat, unlikely as it does run for 1 hour...most likely the seconds at 6.

Good luck.

RG

Sorry I wish I had better news...

Not sure what the rotor problem is, I have never seen a rotor unwind like this.

Have your watchmaker check that the mainspring click is working fine.

If that is good, I would have him remove the dial and hands, and take the bridge off and see if the watch runs (doing this will remove the 5 gears for the seconds at 6). If the watch starts and runs as soon as he removes this bridge, you know what the problem is... I have seen this happen, watch stops, remove gears, watch starts again...

Or it could be something like a bad beat, unlikely as it does run for 1 hour...most likely the seconds at 6.

Good luck.

RG

The Zigmeister thanks again for the comment and for the help...I'll definitely bring it to the watchsmith to see what can be done...

regards,

Vladimir