When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally Got A Watch Winder...

Devedander

Nice box! I've bought a few from the same guy, only the quads though. Mine are loud as hell! Good to hear that the bigger one is quiet. I may pop for one, but I find that they don't hold my watches well since my bands are larger because of my wrist.

Be sure to update the board with the quality in about 1-3 months. I've had two "ebay" winders develop "one side out" syndrome.

Thanks for sharing.

Will do... overall the quality feels pretty cheap (the "glass" is plastic... eventhough the shipping box said "Fragile Glass" :p ) I am watching to see if either of them fail or get really noisy over time... I won't be surprised if they do...

As for bigger bands I could easily see that being a problem... I have 6.5 inch wrists so it's a pretty good fit for mine, but much longer and I can easily see how they would sort of dangle out.

Also the pillows are a bit odd... I am thinking in the future I will look for one with the "squarish" pillows rather than these "pillow shaped" (for lack of a better term) pillows...

That all said I think it's decent for the price and if it holds up decently well I will be happy until I get a better one someday.

My buddy bought a dual winder from this guy, motor died in 2 days, the guy sent him a new motor so let's see where this road leads :)

Enjoy the winder and the quietness while it lasts. In about 6 months it'll start getting noisy, then at about a year you'll have a motor fail, and by about 14-16 months you'll throw the thing in the trash. Trust me. I know. But, in the meantime you've got a good place to store watches. One note; watches with fat buckles (like the Pam127) won't fit in the winder slots. Too wide. And big watches 47mm will have a hard time co-existing with their neighboring watches both in the winders and in the storage bins.

I'm now looking at getting a much higher quality winder or building my own. If it turns out to be the latter, I'll of course share designs with all.

or after a few months u may do like me when the circut board goes out and do a macgyver hot wire job, but heh it is still working , just trying to get at least a year out of it u know , that way i dont feel like i wasted much , lol(but they do look nice for the money, too bad they dont put nice motors in with it)

good luck (my suggestion is if it has a pillow to hold your watch dont buy it , they r one of a kind)

joe

Thanks for the advice and I fully expect it to be cheap... I am one of those people that despite knowing you get what you pay for, always has to be burned by a cheapo first... I think it's actually better... you don't appreciate fillet until you gnaw on some shoulder steak :D

For now it stores my watches (I really need some space cuz my 12 watch box was overflowing) and does ok... when it starts crapping out I will start tinkering with it... I do a lot of tinkering and digging around in guts (if you saw a picture of my workbench... well you would be scared to say the least :) ) so I am ready for what comes and happy now!

I actually just got one of the Sharper Image models as a refurb. Does anyone have experience with this one? Aside from the fact that it only holds one watch, I'm pretty impressed with it. It's totally silent, very well made, and it can be adjusted to run for 3, 6, 9, or 12 minutes per hour. So far, both of my 2824 based reps only require 3 minutes per hour of winding time. I use the 12 minute setting for winding stopped watches.

I wish they made a model for multiple watches, but for the price, I'll probably just buy 7 more of them.

I actually just got one of the Sharper Image models as a refurb. Does anyone have experience with this one? Aside from the fact that it only holds one watch, I'm pretty impressed with it. It's totally silent, very well made, and it can be adjusted to run for 3, 6, 9, or 12 minutes per hour. So far, both of my 2824 based reps only require 3 minutes per hour of winding time. I use the 12 minute setting for winding stopped watches.

I wish they made a model for multiple watches, but for the price, I'll probably just buy 7 more of them.

I had one, just gave it to a buddy of mine after getting my eight watch winder. Worked just fine but not for all watches. Since it only rocked back and forth instead of making complete revelutions not all of my watches would wind on it.

I had one, just gave it to a buddy of mine after getting my eight watch winder. Worked just fine but not for all watches. Since it only rocked back and forth instead of making complete revelutions not all of my watches would wind on it.

I have several of the same quality. Sometimes they look like the little engine that could, struggling to get 400 grams of watch through a revolution. I fully expect them to be disposable.

Any winder that is angled is not efficient. The best winders rotate in a plane that has the dial perpendicular to the floor. Another solution I found for this is to place my watches dial up laying on an orbital laboratory shaker. They have to be bidirectional movements since the rotator only moves counterclockwise.

Which watches (or, rather, which movements) would not work on the Sharper Image? It's great for my 2824s. Will it work just as well with a 7750?

Yea, they are total crap, but for the prioce what do you expect! In fact they are probably the perfect winders for "replica" watches. It will run for 6-12 months and then become so problamatic you will chuck it... but then you can always buy another one.

When you consider a quality three watch winder from a company like Orbiat can easily top 2 grand, $100 for a 4 unit (8 watch) model is pretty good. You could buy a new one every year for 20 years before you hit the cost of a high quality unit.