When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thank you.

Hayst

2 hours ago, P4GTR said:

This is a nice thread, I like watching your little journey. You have definitely been bitten. 

I think it's ok to leave those rolex hallmarks on rather than scuff your dials up. It's obvious you are doing this for yourself and not to brag or pretend you're something else to others. I have always enjoyed reps for just that purpose, me. They also were a doorway into a watchmaking career, starting out just like you have. I have tried to purchase the gens of the watches I liked as reps.. to varied levels of satisfaction. The worst part of gen ownership for me, was the service and support.  They sell you stories of perfection, but after the purchase when they should really shine they do anything but. I have had to do my own repairs after many service centers failed to meet their mark, including TAG, Breitling, and Rolex. RSC NY was the worst, followed closely by Breitling.  All of this reaffirms my commitment to being the type of watchmaker that fills the gap they leave in terms of attention to detail and turnaround time- their two biggest problems.

So what's next for you? I have recently decided to play around with a cartel comex SD which I have on the way. I was itching for a vintage project that wouldn't break the bank or need to be taken too seriously. 

You ask what is next?

For the immediately short term I  have thrown my job in and am doing up my house, after which we are selling up and moving to Tasmania...I am of an inclination to wander aimlessly up trout streams armed with a fishing rod and expectations, I am also looking forward to hunting deer in those God almighty steep mountains.

There are Sapphires  to be found and gold to be fossicked.

My wife, and our daughter are looking forward to the change from the great flat expanse we have lived in all these years, no more  burning to a crisp in summer...and water everywhere, not just in a muddy ditch.

And on my wrist  through this new adventure will  be the watch I have built...not a Rolex, but a watch I can service and maintain myself wherever I should be...as much a  part of the grand venture as my Randalls and Brno.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have had a week off from working on the house so my Daughter and I got in to a wee watch project...we put all our spare bits in to a Tudor 74033 case set.

I found it interesting that the 74000 Tudor case back fit the Raffles 34mm case, and it seems to have that much needed clearance the Raffles case back lacks...it's a poofteenth...but it is there.

I also found with the 74033 case there is slightly less room from the dial to the sapphire crystal...it is tighter on this case, but does fit depending on the height of the second hand..

The Tudor lugs do differ from the Raffles lugs and does require some pissing about with  the Raffles Jubilee end links.

Please pardon my phone pictures.

Raffles Jubilee band

Tudor 74033 case set

Eta 2824-2 top rated

Ebay replacement Tudor hands, quit a bit longer than the Raffles hand set, nicer and glows green under a black light rather than blue like the Raffles

Rolex stainless crown ...really not keen on the gold wrapped crowns.

20230519_023852.jpg

20230519_011338.jpg

20230519_011322.jpg

20230519_011247.jpg

20230519_011232.jpg

20230519_011213.jpg

20230519_011159.jpg

Edited by Hayst
  • Like 3

Nicely done.   

Interesting to hear and good to know about the gen casebacks fitting the raffles cases.. thanks for confirming that  I hear rumor's but haven't tried it yet.. 

the casebacks are now over 300  on ebay 

The case back on mine has the angled section inside and an open  top 4 in the 74000,  pretty sure the one listed from India is shonky.

The case number between the lugs uses a closed 4.

Oh, and the case back has two threads instead of one like Raffles.

Screenshot 2023-05-19 135324.jpg

Edited by Hayst

• 3 weeks later...

Okay...I sourced an original movement ring  so replaced  the Raffles ring and added a better quality Raffles bracelet. The Tudor movement ring has a slightly different angle on the side so it is tighter getting the clamps into place and screwed down.

The Raffles bracelet was far better than I was expecting, well put together and crisp and clean...when fitting one of these to a Tudor case all one has to do is follow the top curve of the end pieces with a dremel sanding drum ( carefully ) 'til the end piece fits the case and the spring bars clip in to place, no need to touch the bottom part of the end piece.

20230604_212638.jpg

20230604_212650.jpg

20230604_212659.jpg

20230604_212706.jpg

20230604_212712.jpg

• Like 2