When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is The Blackseal 183h Any Better Than The 183g?

coltrim

Hi folks, I own a blackseal 183g which I paid $325 for. The threads stripped in no time. I sent it back but I'm sure I'll face the same problem again.

Is the 183h any improvement in this or any other ways.

If so where should I buy the darn thing?

the 183s crowns will strip regardless of it being an H or G series... its an inheritated flaw of the rep 183 ... davidson has aftermarket crowns for the 183 .. because of this (and also the case being uber polished ) most ppl don't recomend to wear the 183 daily ... that being said i own a 183 and it is my daily wearer stripped tube and all... but its going to be completely re-fitted in the near future so i am not too bothered... if you don't want the 183 problems... you could always rock the 111

the 183s crowns will strip regardless of it being an H or G series... its an inheritated flaw of the rep 183 ... davidson has aftermarket crowns for the 183 .. because of this (and also the case being uber polished ) most ppl don't recomend to wear the 183 daily ... that being said i own a 183 and it is my daily wearer stripped tube and all... but its going to be completely re-fitted in the near future so i am not too bothered... if you don't want the 183 problems... you could always rock the 111

hey there, thanks for the reply. I'm fairly new to all this- what do you mean rock the 111?

hey there, thanks for the reply. I'm fairly new to all this- what do you mean rock the 111?

sorry its my U.S. parlance... ( grew up there) although im in blighty .... what attracted me to the 183 was the cushion case and also i read somewhere that the casing was 1:1 and was indistguishable from the gen ... not so true... but the pam casing in rep isn't bad because of their size ( someone correct me if i am wrong i am by no means a pam expert ) but the 111 is the luminor variant of the 183 .... so you get the classic look with sandwich dial the same movment ... cased differently of course so you would get the a crown without the stripping problem (it has a lever device to keep it down and sealed )... in many ways the 111 is a good pam to start with ...

I've got a G series 183 from PT. Finepics serviced it for me and stated that the threads on it were good and I've had it now for over a year wearing it fairly frequently with no problems. Apparantly there were two different versions of the 183 about one with decent threads, one without. However it's pot luck which one you get. As mentioned Davidsen offers replacement crown and tube.

No doubt ... in this game it is all about luck there are always duds out there ... but what i have found with most screw down crown reps is that they are going to strip on you eventually with heavy use... and as far as davidson is concerned from what i understand he sells good quality wares ... it took about six months or so for my G183's crown to strip... but then i was wearing everyday and also winding it everyday .

Just replace with Davidsen's crown. But it is true that some have much better threads than others. I vote for old school - the G provided you can find the right movement. The original ones came with very first bridge plates (like the 036) when the gen came with the engraved second gen (predecessor to the Cotes de Geneve look on current models).

183 G is one of the best reps. I haven't had a problem with the threads stripping and have been wearing it periodically over the last year or so. Someone said it earlier, luck of the draw?

Do the Davidsen replacements last?

Why can't they just make threads that don't strip- is it a problem on the gen?

183 G is one of the best reps. I haven't had a problem with the threads stripping and have been wearing it periodically over the last year or so. Someone said it earlier, luck of the draw?

i bought the 183g with the understanding that it was the most accurate rep at the time... hell i think it is great watch its once of my most frequently worn watches . but i think you will find that there are mixed feelings about the Radiomir cased pam reps. If you wear one frequently or keep on unscrewing and screwing the crown to wind it such in a case of a daily wearer the life expecancy on the tube and crown really shortens.

As far as gens doing this... i can't say i have ever had a gen strip on me . That being said most of my screw down gens have been rollies :rolleyes:

i bought the 183g with the understanding that it was the most accurate rep at the time... hell i think it is great watch its once of my most frequently worn watches . but i think you will find that there are mixed feelings about the Radiomir cased pam reps. If you wear one frequently or keep on unscrewing and screwing the crown to wind it such in a case of a daily wearer the life expecancy on the tube and crown really shortens.

As far as gens doing this... i can't say i have ever had a gen strip on me . That being said most of my screw down gens have been rollies :rolleyes:

So what's the big deal about threads- why can't they just make them so that they don't strip, it can't be rocket science?!

Harder steel, bigger screw...?

Hello,

I'm a newbie here, its a coincidence that you mentioned the 183, my 183g's thread has gone south. I had it for about since 2005 and wore it off and on, I would say 6 months of regular winding. It gave up on me yesterday, and I have not been able to fasten the crown back in. I paid around 300 for mine from a dealer, much as I like the cushion case, I would probably stick to the Luminor cases.

Thanks for reading!

Regards,

Pat