When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anybody Read Any Rolex Books Lately

BMWrolex

To my knowledge there are two books out there that serve as great reference guides for rolex history and mechanics:

Vintage Rolex® Sports Models: A Complete Visual Reference and Unauthorized History

and

Rolex Wristwatches: An Unauthorized History

Anyone had the opportunity to read any of those? I want to get one of them for modding purposes (and use it as a reference when i buy gen parts off ebay for the sub).

Skeet and Urul book is probably not the most accurate... But probably okay as a reference.

I was gifted the Dowling and Hess book by a great forum member here... Still the only Rolex book I own, but I still rely on my personal notes for reference. With each genuine that I've handled, I've scrawled details, observations, etc. etc. along with my other experiences in the matter into my little composition book... But a good portion of that knowledge has also been retained in the ol' noggin as well.

EDIT to remove double post...

Edited by ubiquitous

The Skeet / Urul book is a nice book with lots of pretty pictures... i bought a copy over the hols. but as ubi said it isn't the most accurate as the majority of the watches they reference are they're own some of them have been up-dated to not orignal release specs one that strikes in particular is the 5517 they have referenced with a trip-lock crown on the profile diagram ...while this isn't inaccurate since a lot of serviced 5517 were fitted with trip locks but they orignally were fitted with the submariner twin-lock ( so it could be misleading to someone who doesn't know better) ... nevertheless its nice book to look at and flip through .

another book i own is the Rolex Report --- its focused on spotting replicas ...but that book is really rendered useless if you are a member of this forum :thumbsupsmileyanim: