When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blue lume on SMP?

I should be receiving my Bond SMP any day now, and one of the first things I wanted to do was a relume.

Checking ebay, there are tons of glow in the dark paints/powders, and also a variety of colors.

I was thinking about trying this with a blue colored glow paint - anyone have any feedback about whether these glow paints are appropriate for reluming?

Absolute waste of time - and if you have never done one before it's not a case of just painting it on. You stand a real risk of ruining the dial in one go. The proper lume comes as powder with a varnish and a diluting liquid. The mix of these allows you to control the flow to achieve a smooth finish. There is no substitute for the real thing (and that is what is used on the gen).

• 2 weeks later...

Tried it this weekend, and it doesn't work.

The main problem is the strength of the glow. With the amount of the powder that's able to fit on the actual markers, there's barely any glow.

I coated all the hands except the GMT on my watch and charged it with a light source, then looked at it in the dark. All of the hands (including the GMT) were glowing with the same color and intensity.

Didn't try to lume the dial, so the watch still looks great :)

The graininess of the product is also an issue as cracker mentioned.