When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pure

shimside11

Although I have been to the site through reference links, I had never just lurked around and looked through it. The purist guys are way over the top. I just cruised through the forum for fun, realizing that I didn't really know what it is all about. Wow...I didn't think people like that really existed outside of caricature. I've learned a ton through TZ and others, and even though they get a bit pissy at times, they are nothing compared to these snobs.

My little excursion through the sacred ground of that place has spawned a renewed interest in high-end replicas. We really need to patronize our dealers and create a demand for better and better reps. The closer, the better. I would love to see Asian movements and real tourbillons get to the point that they can rival the function and materials (and of course the brand recognition :rolleyes: ) of some obscenely priced gens. I would love to hear stories about someone spotting a 250k watch at a party and saying "hey, dude, I got the same watch and it only set me back 5,000." Upon inspection, there really is not much difference at all. Same precious metals, same smooth functioning movement as the gen, since at some point you have severely diminishing returns.

It seems that there is a transition from a healthy interest in a particular pursuit to a kind of perversion of it, where some people go from a broad appreciation and enormous knowledge base, to a very small tolerance. I know that it is defended as becoming refined and appreciating the finer points, but it also becomes very self-important and absurd.

Interesting psychology to it all. Anybody get the same impression, or more interestingly, the opposite? What are your thoughts?

First it was the arrival of the quartz watch that threatened the swiss watch industry. Soon it is the arrival of high quality reps that you gotta be a renowned to see the fakeness in the timepiece. I see it coming. Give it a few years and they might call it quits to the 200+ year old industry(ref. to founding of Vacheron Constantin).