When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The day I missed out on a Gen Rolex Milsub

Boom rider

I started to scuba dive in late 1985 at a local club and loved it,  at the time I only had 1 watch a Casio DW1000 which is the one before the G shock. So I used that for a while.

Now the next year I was looking around for a good cheap dive watch. The dive club each year would go camping in Weymouth and do loads of shore and small boat dives.

We traveled down on the Friday night for a long weekend, set up the tents and on Sat set off one the first dive of the day. Afterwards we popped into town to get the air tanks refilled  and lunch.

After lunch we had a walk around the old harbor and found a very large Army supplies store   with loads of old stuff inside. 

While  walking around I checked on a large glass case on the counter with smaller gear inside and there sat 3 Rolex submariner watch's . There  were labeled as ex WD and working.  They had no straps and solid bars fitted in the cases. So they would need a Nato strap. I had a good look at 2 of them but was put off by the solid bars.  At the time I didn't know much about Rolex watch's just that they made good divers watch's.  Now I was tempted but at the time money was very tight and I could not  find the cash for one of them. I thought "next year I'll get one" 

So Next year I go the the shop with cash and  it was gone 🤬    The place had shut down. 

Now the hard bit folks, them Rolex watch's from the ex WD markings were for sale at £200 each 😭 Yes  I missed out on a rare Rolex Milsub because I didn't have the  cash.

I've since did checks on the Milsubs and found they only made around 1200 to 1600 watch's.  There was one sold a few years ago at  auction for around £130.000.

• Like 3

On 12/4/2023 at 12:32 AM, oldtools said:

I've had some of those misses too, but none as bad as missing out on a Milsub! 

In my defense,  I've  only gotten into watch's in the last 6 years and didn't know about the Milsubs till I was told about them. 

Just got to finish off the time machine in my shed and then pop back to  that year and buy all thee of them.

😂

Nice looking watch Jackflash

• Like 1