When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

At The Edge Of The Diving Board....

krsone

As a new member and admirer of fine watches I am about to make the jump into Rep collection. I love the idea of getting the style of watches that I love without the price tag. House, wife and kids limits the amount of 5 to 10 thousand dollar watches one can buy!! Through reading and searching the board the one last question I have is what should my expectation of a Rep from a reputable dealer be? Fully understanding QC means everything is a gamble should a $300 Davidsen last a year or two with daily use and gentle care? I don’t mind spending that type of money with the hope, (but no guarantee) that the watch could last several years. At the same time though $300 would mean if it crapped out in 6 months I would be wearing a very nice looking totaling nonfunctioning watch for another 6 months or back to square one tossing out another 3-4 hundy.

Lastly I am down to the 111h or the 177h from Davidsen I would appreciate any thoughts as to which would be better for a noob. I had highly considered and been advised to go with Joshua (testing the rep water with a 1-2 hundred dollar watch) but am leaning towards Davidsen because of the Mods and Lume that comes with the watch. Thoughts and feedback always appreciated.

Krsone

I am not trying to be an as*hole, but please read one of the other 50 threads devoted to the debate between 111 and 177. Its getting a little tiring..

As a new member and admirer of fine watches I am about to make the jump into Rep collection. I love the idea of getting the style of watches that I love without the price tag. House, wife and kids limits the amount of 5 to 10 thousand dollar watches one can buy!! Through reading and searching the board the one last question I have is what should my expectation of a Rep from a reputable dealer be? Fully understanding QC means everything is a gamble should a $300 Davidsen last a year or two with daily use and gentle care? I don’t mind spending that type of money with the hope, (but no guarantee) that the watch could last several years. At the same time though $300 would mean if it crapped out in 6 months I would be wearing a very nice looking totaling nonfunctioning watch for another 6 months or back to square one tossing out another 3-4 hundy.

Lastly I am down to the 111h or the 177h from Davidsen I would appreciate any thoughts as to which would be better for a noob. I had highly considered and been advised to go with Joshua (testing the rep water with a 1-2 hundred dollar watch) but am leaning towards Davidsen because of the Mods and Lume that comes with the watch. Thoughts and feedback always appreciated.

Krsone

Krsone

The 177 vs 111 biz is one thing, but I think it is reasonable to ask what you can expect of a $300 Davidsen. Anyone reading the boards for a while would have a clear picture, but that's a hard thing to search for.

A real Swiss ETA will generally last a long, long time, and they can be fixed or replaced fairly easily. Good quality reps are generall waterproof to the point that you can swim with them and, having a truckload of reps myself, I bought a waterproof tester and I can tell you for a fact that most of the good ones are perfectly dependable to swim with.

If you get one you like, you can get it tested without any risk to the watch.

I wear vintage MBWs, some of the "Perfect" watches that Josh offers with servicing, and a Pam 028 with a 2892 movement. They are all accurate to withing a few seconds a day, they all pass the waterproof test to 5ATM, and they are all as dependable as ny mechanical watch can be.

Enjoy.

Bill

I am not trying to be an as*hole, but please read one of the other 50 threads devoted to the debate between 111 and 177. Its getting a little tiring..

The request for an opinion wasnt intended as "which is better" merely "heys guys what do you think" as far as style and personal taste. So thanks for not trying.

"Joined: 24-January 07" not intended to offend you, but you gave me a good laugh :lol: :lol:

As for th 111 vs 177, I don't know much, but when I bought my 2nd Pam it ended up being 001 (correct old bridges under solid case back). They didn't have a correct movement at that time, and I just leaned towards non-see-through back since I knew a lot of watches that I would buy in the future would have see-through. Just to give you a food for thought, not to make you change your mind...

For what it's worth I started collecting reps almost 3 years and $4000 dollars ago and initially I stuck to Swiss ETAs, however have since dabbled with Asians. I may be lucky but, save for one, are all working tickety-boo. The one that isn't is just running a little hot and when I can be bothered I will fix it.

Hope this allays some of your fears.

Regarding the 111 and the 177, I'd pick the former, but that's just my taste.

JTB

For what it's worth I started collecting reps almost 3 years and $4000 dollars ago and initially I stuck to Swiss ETAs, however have since dabbled with Asians.

JTB

I too have dabbled with Asians a bit......they are pretty fun to work with , but I always end up having to pick hair from my teeth.

"Joined: 24-January 07" not intended to offend you, but you gave me a good laugh :lol: :lol:

As for th 111 vs 177, I don't know much, but when I bought my 2nd Pam it ended up being 001 (correct old bridges under solid case back). They didn't have a correct movement at that time, and I just leaned towards non-see-through back since I knew a lot of watches that I would buy in the future would have see-through. Just to give you a food for thought, not to make you change your mind...

Just a new guy trying to get his feet wet and end up brow beat by another noob....

Thanks for the feed back... decisions decisions.

I too have dabbled with Asians a bit......they are pretty fun to work with , but I always end up having to pick hair from my teeth.

Ah! Now I realize! I always wondered why American women seemed so ossessively inclined to shave. Now I have my answer! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@ JTB - always lowering the tone LOL

@ Krsone - I own a 3 month old Davidsen 111h and love it (except a the minor dial flaws)

I think in terms build quality there will be no difference between his 177 and 111. The difference comes in taste; personally I feel that the Ti 177 is more of a casual watch that should always sit on a brown strap whereas the polished steel 111h can happily be casual on brown distressed yet equally formal on a black strap.

It all depends on what you want the watch to be!

JG

@ Krsone - I own a 3 month old Davidsen 111h and love it (except a the minor dial flaws)

I think in terms build quality there will be no difference between his 177 and 111. The difference comes in taste; personally I feel that the Ti 177 is more of a casual watch that should always sit on a brown strap whereas the polished steel 111h can happily be casual on brown distressed yet equally formal on a black strap.

It all depends on what you want the watch to be!

JG

Great point on the casualness of the Ti. Thanks alot

JG

I beg your pardon my good man, although I do possess certain skills in the tone lowering department........this time twas tkeeper who strayed from the path of the decent and righteous and tis he who should be the subject of your villification.

I was merely a patsy in his sordid little scenario.

May the good lord have mercy on you.

JTB