When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Source for 116710LN GMT II CASE to fit 3186

freddy333

Anyone know of a source for an accurate CASE (or rep with accurate CASE) to fit a gen 3186 spec movement?

Need properly aligned rehaut engraving  -- so ROLEXROLEXROLEX letters align with minute marks on gen dial.
Thanks in advance.

Rolex 119710LN GMT II rehaut letter alignment.jpg

Update --

After exhausting all the usual sources for accurate 116710LN cases, I turned to Andrew (trustytime) & took his advice (which I have always found to be reliable) & purchased 1 of his superclone 116710LNs to use as a case donor. Anyone following a similar upgrade path should be aware that the 116710 has had 2 movements -- 3186 & 3285 -- the 3186 was discontinued in 2018 & replaced by the 3285 (main improvement is an increased, 72 hour power reserve versus the previous movement's 48 hour reserve). Therefore, all of the LNs should have been fitted with the 3186 & all recent GMTII models will be powered by the 3285. Unfortunately, my Rolex parts book predates either movement, so I cannot say with certainty what, if any, parts these 2 movements share, but I doubt there are many because the 2 movements look very different.

Although the use of a complete clone watch is a very inefficient use of capital for a franken project, it is alot less costly than sourcing a gen case, which are nearly as rare as gen 14k Newman Daytonas. Most of the upgrades & overall process is similar to what I previously detailed in my Big Kahuna Daytona clone project, with the exception of the additional requirement of a clone case since the Big Kahuna was based on a clone (which came with an accurate 'clone' case) & this project is based on an old rep (which came with a good, but not 100% accurate case). Because everything that you can see, feel & operate on the final watch will be gen, it makes no sense to house it all within a 'good, but not 100% accurate case'.

What began life as a correct hand stack (CHS) ETA-powered rep purchased many years ago is morphing into a super-clone.

Years ago, I upgraded the watch with --

- gen xtal

- gen crown/tube

Recently, I swapped the ETA for an Asian 3186 clone (my experience with 4 clones has been consistent -- all met or exceeded Rolex/COSC timing specs out of the box & have maintained those specs)

Currently, awaiting these incoming parts --
- Andrew's 116710LN clone (case donor)
- gen dial

- gen handset

- gen auto-wind components (eg reverser wheels)

- gen signed bridges

- gen rotor

- gen balance/bridge

- various gen & Swiss-made screws to replace poor quality/damaged clone screws
&, to do the final project the justice it will deserve, I will be replacing the solid steel caseback with a German-made display caseback, which is superior -- appears to be similar quality, but offers a slightly larger display area -- to both the Big Kahuna's ebay-sourced display caseback & Rolex's own 116506 display caseback.

• Like 1