When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would You Ever Pay More To Fix A Movement Than It's Worth?

chris5264

I've had this problem with one of my Steinhart watches which uses the 2824. The problem is actually pretty simple and a few people from the forum actually helped me figure out what was wrong. When you wind it, the rotor spins and I don't mean just a little but too many turns to count with a single rotation of the crown. Anyway, just dropped it off at a respected repair place for an estimate of 220 (usd). In a way this seems crazy, I can buy the movement new for 85 and it wouldn't be a problem at all to replace. On the other hand, this estimate includes a complete overhall of the movement but it is only a few months old and keeping perfect time so that is redundant. I don't know, any thoughts would be helpful.

Yes, I know,,,,,,,finish the second watch class and do it yourself is probably the best advice!

Since the watch is only a few moths old, why not contact Steinhart. They have a reputation for very good customer service so why not give them a try. Isn't the watch under warranty?

IMO, $220 seems over the top for servicing a relatively new 2824.

It is under warranty and I sent it in once and it was sent back saying it was fine. After a few emails I talked them into sending a replacement which worked for a few weeks and then had the same problem. At this point I thought I would try to fix it myself but I thought it would be around 40 just to clean the gears involved in the self winding mechanism. However, from the feedback so far I don't think I'll let this place fix it for 220....that did seem pretty expensive to me.

It is under warranty and I sent it in once and it was sent back saying it was fine. After a few emails I talked them into sending a replacement which worked for a few weeks and then had the same problem. At this point I thought I would try to fix it myself but I thought it would be around 40 just to clean the gears involved in the self winding mechanism. However, from the feedback so far I don't think I'll let this place fix it for 220....that did seem pretty expensive to me.

I can't help but wonder why both of these movements developed exactly the same problem, within weeks of them working fine...

If your handwinding this model, that is the problem, the click wheels are damaged. It's highly unlikely that a new working 2824 would suddenly develope exactly the same problem as the first one did, the odds of this happening, without any outside influance, is very high. Meaning if the automatic movement is used as an auto - not a manual wind - it will not give you trouble.

$220 is on par for a commercial shop to service a automatic wind, calendar movement...google watch repair prices, and you'll see what the going rate is...

RG

thanks for your input The Zigmeister. Since I don't wear my automatics each day, I usually let them run down and if I plan to wear one that day, I set it and give it about 5 turns. So I actually don't do a full manual wind and it probably only had a dozen times of giving it 5 turns. This is the same thing I've done with all my other 2824s and I've never had a problem. However, if this is the problem, I wish gen watch companies would provide a warning, "don't manually wind this watch" just like they do for the 7750 "don't use quick set between 9 and 3 am" If I can't give a few manual turns to a watch, I think I'm going to pass on the 2824 and stick with the 7750 and 6497.

thanks for your input Ziggy. Since I don't wear my automatics each day, I usually let them run down and if I plan to wear one that day, I set it and give it about 5 turns. So I actually don't do a full manual wind and it probably only had a dozen times of giving it 5 turns. This is the same thing I've done with all my other 2824s and I've never had a problem. However, if this is the problem, I wish gen watch companies would provide a warning, "don't manually wind this watch" just like they do for the 7750 "don't use quick set between 9 and 3 am" If I can't give a few manual turns to a watch, I think I'm going to pass on the 2824 and stick with the 7750 and 6497.

Well I wonder if they just have crappy movements they are sending out, very odd indeed...

If you have a caseback opener, and can take the rotor and winding bridge off, you can ship them to me, and I can put them throught the wash and see if they can be salvaged, maybe they are just dirty and gummed up.

Your winding is not enough to cause a problem, so it's got to be a movement problem...

If you are able to remove the parts, let me know on a PM and we can work something out.

RG

Thanks The Zigmeister,,,you may have helped me in an unexpected way. I've had all the material for the level 2 TZ watch class, but just "haven't had time" to get to it. So, I started looking at it after reading your last post. It looks like removing the winding bridge is pretty easy and I even have a cleaner. So, I'm going to give this a go myself. Thanks again, I'll post an update when after I attempt this one.

Excellent...

After the rotor is off, you only have to remove the two black screws to remove the autowinder bridge assembly. When you re-install it, seat it in place, lightly install the screws, and before tightening them down, turn the crown in the winding position to see that all the gears are meshed as they should be...keep turning the crown as you tighten the screws.

See this post here for info.

Last section covers rotor install...

RG