When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A/r Or Not

candide2424

Reps or gens ? Could you be a bit more specific...

Basically all Vendome PAMs (1997 onwards) should come with A/R coated crystals, without any visible A/R tint. AFAIK, none of the pre-Vendome PAMs had A/R (201/A, 202/A, and 203/A for example), but I could be wrong.

Reps are a mixed bag when it comes to A/R, it pays to double check with your dealer first, as some models come in both A/R and non-A/R 'flavour'.

cheers,

babola

Reps or gens ? Could you be a bit more specific...

Basically all Vendome PAMs (1997 onwards) should come with A/R coated crystals, without any visible A/R tint. AFAIK, none of the pre-Vendome PAMs had A/R (201/A, 202/A, and 203/A for example), but I could be wrong.

Reps are a mixed bag when it comes to A/R, it pays to double check with your dealer first, as some models come in both A/R and non-A/R 'flavour'.

cheers,

babola

For the genuine ones:

All Pre-V, A, B series they definately don't have AR.

AR coated crystal came from D series (or some late C series) and onwards.

The 036 has no AR coating whatsoever.. don't know where you found those specs..

Photos here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/thre...26gt%3B%26gt%3B

There you go mate, straight from the horse's mouth:

PAM 00036

Movement: hand-wound mechanical, Panerai OP II calibre, 16½ lignes, 17 jewels, bridges personalized PANERAI.

Glucydur® balance, 21,600 alternations/hour.

Incabloc® anti-shock device. Power reserve 56 hours.

Chronometer Certificate (C.O.S.C.).

Functions: hours, minutes, small seconds.

Case: diameter 44 mm, brushed titanium.

Bezel: brushed titanium.

Back: see-through sapphire crystal.

Device protecting the crown: (registered Trade Mark) in brushed titanium.

Dial: brown with luminous hour markers and Arabic numerals. Small seconds dial at 9 o'clock.

Crystal: sapphire, made from corundum, 3.5 mm thick. Anti-reflective coating.

Water resistance: 300 metres.

Strap: leather with titanium buckle personalized PANERAI.

http://www.panerai.com/s_page.xpd?id_lingu...able_popup_w_se

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

Beginning with the end of 1997 Panerai did start using AR coat. But for many of the early models (thru about 2000) the AR coat was often so light that it is very difficult to replicate. So IMHO, on the A and B reps you are generally better off leaving them alone. I actually was surprised that they were AR coated as I saw a number of earlier PAM's when I was looking to buy one and I never noticed any traces. So the early models either had the definition of the perfect AR coat or a crappy one. :lol:

This AR subject has been beaten to death over at Psti..

Pre-V A and B series don't have any sign of AR whatsoever (not even the slightest hint of AR Warren).. Some late C's may have..

I have more than 500 pictures of those series Pams in my hard disk and none of them has AR.

@babola:

The time I will start to believe Panerai's description I will start believing to World Peace ;)

Panerai is known for many mispresentations of their watches by mistake or for any other reason. :D

Well, that would explain alot. My first gen was a 25B and compared to some of my other watches it looked like it had no AR. Mine is long gone but I remember thinking it was kind of "off" that a rugged watch had no ar coat. :lol:

Then again when I bought it I had no idea who the Paneristi were or what the Panerai heritage was. I just thought it was a cool looking watch and reasonably priced relative to some of the other watches I was looking at. :D