When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ordered A 0005 From Paul, Wrong Back?

The Technician

Did the 0005 ever come with a display back? I'm kind of dissapointed. Does anybody know if Paul will swap backs? He said he'd be out for the Chinese new year, so I can't get ahold of him right now.

Nope.. no display back..

Was the photo on his site a closed back and he sent you a wrong watch?

Yup, you've got exactly what you ordered...his item description is sometimes innacurate, but pics show the model you're getting...at least that was the case with my previous purchases from him.

It pays to double-check with Paul before you order, I know I do, since getting it re-placed or $$ refunded after sale is a mission in itself.

Look at the bright side mate, at least you've got the correct movement for 005, although released in 2004, Panerai kept the "old" OPI/OPII movements in their 000 & 005 Logos, instead of newer G & H-series CDG, S/N OPX/OPXI.

Post a WTB on trading forum, somebody might have a spare solid S/S logo caseback.

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

Yeah, I guess I should have just ordered the one on the strap to be sure. (I wanted the bracelet for another watch.) If you look at that watch on his page, he does have pictures of several different watches in his item pic description. Confusing...

Also, the markers and numbers are a little thin, and very green, but I have some superluminova I've been meaning to practice with so I suppose I'll be able to fix that flaw. On the plus side, the CG an pin is very nice and almost looks like my Jimmyfu.

If anybody out there wants to sell me a correct back, please PM me.

Yeah, I guess I should have just ordered the one on the strap to be sure. (I wanted the bracelet for another watch.) If you look at that watch on his page, he does have pictures of several different watches in his item pic description. Confusing...

Also, the markers and numbers are a little thin, and very green, but I have some superluminova I've been meaning to practice with so I suppose I'll be able to fix that flaw. On the plus side, the CG an pin is very nice and almost looks like my Jimmyfu.

If anybody out there wants to sell me a correct back, please PM me.

careful practicing lume on a sausage dial unless you don't care that it gets ruined....... :black_eye:

careful practicing lume on a sausage dial unless you don't care that it gets ruined....... :black_eye:

I'm such a hardass for accuracy that without the solid back the watch is hard for me to stomach anyhow, but, I've been doing dots, lines and Rolex type markers for awhile, so I'm not too worried. I'm going to start with a scratched 036 dial I have laying around first. My only worry with the 0005 is the gen pics I see have the lume "bleeding" a little bit over the actual numeral. May be very hard to duplicate right.

I'm such a hardass for accuracy that without the solid back the watch is hard for me to stomach anyhow, but, I've been doing dots, lines and Rolex type markers for awhile, so I'm not too worried. I'm going to start with a scratched 036 dial I have laying around first. My only worry with the 0005 is the gen pics I see have the lume "bleeding" a little bit over the actual numeral. May be very hard to duplicate right.

You have a good eye for detail mate. Only a few forumers noticed so far what you just described above. Sausage dials PAM reps are not being made of the same quality and attention to details as they used in the past. Dials now come with green painted lume, on some of them it's so 'radioactive' green when not charged - it's not funny...this applies to 001/002 and 111/112 E,F,G-series reps as well as 000 & 005 Logos.

I own 002B and 112E I both bought close to 2 years ago, the lume is white, and slightly green/blueish when charged, just like the on the gens. I also own the latest iteration of 001B - it's not even close !

Also it seems like PAM rep dial makers never managed to make close to 1:1 sausage dials, the main flaw being numerals and stick markers that are simply too thin. Just look at the 4 15sec markers on second subdial, on the gen the thickness is close to the main dial hour stick (bar) marker...on reps it's hardly half the thickness.

All said, sausage dials are still WAY better and closer to gen's than the lastest H & I series 44mm sandwich dials.

cheers,

babola