When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacing A Sapphire On 217/fiddy - Will I Smash It (again)?

Tom

I've just ordered a Davidsen Sapphire after some Poltergeist caused my 217 crystal to explode in my watch case. I've got a crystal press but the largest attachment I have for it is 37mm.

I think if I used this the pressure on the centre of the sapphire would shatter it. Do I need a larger attachment?

If so what size should I try and get hold of....and does anyone know where I could find this.

Edited by Tom

just don't use a hockey puck and a vice

I've heard the puck and vice method is about as much use as Anne Frank's drumkit. How about the 'hammer and rubber' approach

Seriously though - I'd rather not take it to the watch repairman if I can help it, somebody.....anybody...come to my rescue.

I use a 40mm die for intalling these...

But I think if your 37 mm is a hollow one (with just a lip around the outer edge) you will be fine. As long as your not using a flat die it should not make any difference.

CAUTION.

I have found that many many of these watches won't accept these crystals...you should measure the inside diameter of the bezel, and the crystal with digital calipers, you need at least a difference of 0.5 - 1.0 mm between the two for it to work, i.e. the crystal is 40.00 mm, and the inner diameter of the bezel is 41.00 mm or so...

The other issue, is you need a good quality press, even more so on these domed crystals, if you have plastic or nylon dies, it's going to seat crooked, and you'll have no success... Delrin or aluminum dies are the only ones that I know will work. Even at that, getting a replacement one to work on anything other than a Davidsen watch is an excercise in frustration, they appear to only fit his watches...

RG