When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Exploding Fiddy's Has This Happened To You?

pete2528ca

Hey all...

I just bought a Fiddy, which I love very much. I was emailing back and forth with the dealer I bought it from and he said that he and some other dealers have been having the occasional problem with the crystals exploding on that model. Now, I know I am a newbie, but I kind of figure that more than one dealer buys from the same factory somewhere in China. My Fiddy, is superlumed, and has the high cannon pin, and swan neck regulator. I know it is a better quality rep amoung reps. I was told it was a genuine crystal, and did the water test on it and it did bead.

So, tell me, how often do these break/explode? Is it something I should worry about? My dealer offers a six month warranty, and if it happens in this first half year I know he will fix it, and after that I am sure he would repair it for me, but should I be afraid to wear it?

Thanks guys...

Pete

do a search, there were a couple of other threads about this, even a poll of owners, think it was last month.

This happened to a friend of mine. His was sitting on his dresser under the heat vent... I think the change in temp caused it to crack. I have had mine for over a year and 1/2. No problems. His replacement has also been problem free. (Crystal that is)... I think he's had problems with the movement since RBJ serviced it. It's been un realible-Seperate issue...

Edited by zuppy51

Same thing happened to me. Apparently there is a defect in crystals coming out of one maker in Guanzhou and yes this maker supplies a lot of factories.

It's a poor mineral mix that reacts badly to changes in temperature - uneven contraction / expansion due to the bad mix.

I sourced replacements from Shanghai from my 127 and one from Davidsen for my 217.....no problems since and they have been -15 to + 40 C to check!!

fishgodeep

Same thing happened to me. Apparently there is a defect in crystals coming out of one maker in Guanzhou and yes this maker supplies a lot of factories.

It's a poor mineral mix that reacts badly to changes in temperature - uneven contraction / expansion due to the bad mix.

I sourced replacements from Shanghai from my 127 and one from Davidsen for my 217.....no problems since and they have been -15 to + 40 C to check!!

fishgodeep

Is it just the fiddys? ...or some of the other Pams too. I am thinking about the new Arktos, and a 11h when i decide which one is the best buy.

Hi - believe it's just the larger sapphire crystals on 47mm watches - mainly the 127 and 217 Destro Marina Militare.

Probably cost cutting in the production process.

I can't comment on dealers on this site as I didn't purchase mine from any of these listed.

I have purchased a replacement crystal from Davidsen and had no problems with this and would therefore reccomend if you want a 47mm model