When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona Frankensteins Off The Granite

ubiquitous

I like the granite shots better, but Ive seen them a billion times now, so the change of pace is good :lol:

The granite shots are repititious, and I know it :) I wanted to try something a little different, but I am realizing that it's not the backdrop that's getting repetitive, but rather the subject. So... That's something I need to work on (as well as my photography skills).

Hi Ubiquitous,

Just for the record that is not an old mans car. It is far too new. REAL old men drive much older Mercs than that ('92 300ce - in jet black - for example). Your watches are fantastic by the way. Keep up the good work.

Dieselpower.

Thanks much for the very kind words, Diesel :) Always appreciated! As for the car... My wife likes to rib me by calling me an old man :lol: I'm only her senior by 4 years! But she thinks that all MB's are old man cars by default, and that Rolex is also of the old man sterotype.

Glad I didn't opt to get a W124 E500 or something like that... I'd never hear the end of it!

The 300ce I was referring to is my car (Yes its a W124!) I am quite a few years senior to my trouble and strife and therefore feel like a fully paid up member of the old man club sometimes even though I am 'only' 43. By the way Merc did not release the E500 W124 in the UK so unfortunately I can't get my hands on one (the estate version of course). Anyway I don't want to hijack this topic (too much) so lets get back to watches. The black background is boring and the granite is not. I dont think the black bg makes you see any more detail in the watches so stick with the granite! Anyway Ubi for one man to posess so many superb Daytonas (where's the PN?) is downright greedy how about putting one up for auction on these here pages and let some other lucky person share in their fineness? All those who agree please post here and lets prize one of those beauties out of the Ubiquitous grasp :thumbsupsmileyanim: Oh no, the wife has just read this and she feels another watch purchase coming on- I didn't mean it honestly darling!! :black_eye:

Anyway Ubi for one man to posess so many superb Daytonas (where's the PN?) is downright greedy how about putting one up for auction on these here pages and let some other lucky person share in their fineness? All those who agree please post here and lets prize one of those beauties out of the Ubiquitous grasp :thumbsupsmileyanim: Oh no, the wife has just read this and she feels another watch purchase coming on- I didn't mean it honestly darling!! :black_eye:

Heh... Well, I must admit- I actually only own one of these Zenith Daytonas; the other belongs to my son, which he will receive when he is ready to take care of it. I built one of these watches specifically for him with the hopes that it will have more sentimental meaning and value as something his Dad made especially for him (and not simply purchased at the store). I wear both almost daily, and even at the tender age of 3, he knows that there is something special about this pair of Cosmographs.

Regarding vintage... Have had a few vintage Daytonas- Mostly DWs...

205657-576.jpg

This PN was one of my favorites; fully serviced and overhauled by Ziggy, it was one of my few DW's that worked perfectly. I could not pull off a watch of this stature, but the new recipient that this one was passed to is more than capable of filling that criteria :)

205657-577.jpg

And another that I parted with...

All very nice watches, but a tad bit persnickety in the mechanicals, which appear to be very old manual wind bi-compax movements in these DW's. I ended up swapping the movement in my black dial 6265 for a Valjoux 23 from an old Nivada (with much help from Ziggy). Now the watch works properly :)

Daytonas have always been somewhat of an obsession for me; if I could have only one watch, these days, it would probably be a Zenith Daytona...

:)