When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 005 Superlumed C3 Dial

JJFlash

So I just picked up the David son Pam 005 with Superlumed C3 dial.

I am amazed how green the lume is in hand versus looking at the sale pictures.

Especially side by side to any of my Pam's it is Jolly Green Giant green.

Is this really the correct color lume for this model?

Thanks guys,

I have lumed a number of PAM's lately that the original lume is very greenish, more of a C7 colour, than a C3...

C3 is not very green tinted at all, very "slight" greenish and yellow colour. On the ones I have lumed, you can see the difference between the geunine SL C3 and the existing lume, it's no where near the same colour.

My "Rol-Mega-Matic" SMP chrono is lumed with C3, have a look for a comparison.

RG

I have lumed a number of PAM's lately that the original lume is very greenish, more of a C7 colour, than a C3...

C3 is not very green tinted at all, very "slight" greenish and yellow colour. On the ones I have lumed, you can see the difference between the geunine SL C3 and the existing lume, it's no where near the same colour.

RG

The Zigmeister has seen it all. I have sent a bunch to him for C3, and the colour should not be overtly green in hue. I love DSN's 082 Amerigo - pictured below - but the lume needs correcting.

Last point: I LOVE the stuff DSN is doing, it may not always be there yet, but without him there's quite a few pieces that we would not see (e.g. 082, and 3646 Deco, see 3rd photo below).

As a tribute to The Zigmeister I'm posting my 217 MM that he did - thanks for the great work, mate! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

203998-942.jpg

The Zigmeister C3 lume glory!

203998-943.jpg

203998-944.jpg

Edited by bigbadbrad

I guess I am all confused.

I thought all the Pam's with the "L Swiss L" were to have C3 lume as the correct color.

This is Tritec's color description:

C3 yellow

C5 green-yellow

C7 blue-green

My brand new 005 color looks more like C7 when compared to the Tritec color chart

Are all the Pam's with the "L Swiss L" , including my new 005, suppose have C3 lume as the correct color?

No, I don't believe so...at least not in it's 'pure' C3 form. My Panerai AD currently has 005, the color of dial numerals and indices is almost completely white when not charged, and blue when charged, not green.

I guess this blows the 'C3 theory' out of the water. Panerai had been using a compound of C1 C3 and other color pigments for their lume on 'historic' 44mm PAMs. The lume was never yellow-ish or green-ish when non charged, it was always closest to white color. It's also their in-house 'secret' so don't expect them to ever come public on this matter :)

BTW, contemporary auto models usually come with slightly (but ever so slightly) green pigmented dial numerals and indices. Pre-H series subs sport slightly yellow color.

There's currently a forumer here who re-dials his historic Pam dials in 80% C1 - to - 20% C3 mix ratio, IMO the closest lume color to gens.

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

Thanks babola.

Thanks also for everyone's responses.

So the correct answer for the proper lume color on my new David son 005 is.............none of the above.

The current 005 lume color which is green, probably C7 or perhaps C5, is completely wrong.

Closer to correct would be C1 or C3, even better a mixture of both.

However, the glow then is still totally wrong.

Should glow blue rather than green.

So did I finally got this correct?

No, I don't believe so...at least not in it's 'pure' C3 form. My Panerai AD currently has 005, the color of dial numerals and indices is almost completely white when not charged, and blue when charged, not green.

I guess this blows the 'C3 theory' out of the water. Panerai had been using a compound of C1 C3 and other color pigments for their lume on 'historic' 44mm PAMs. The lume was never yellow-ish or green-ish when non charged, it was always closest to white color. It's also their in-house 'secret' so don't expect them to ever come public on this matter :)

BTW, contemporary auto models usually come with slightly (but ever so slightly) green pigmented dial numerals and indices. Pre-H series subs sport slightly yellow color.

There's currently a forumer here who re-dials his historic Pam dials in 80% C1 - to - 20% C3 mix ratio, IMO the closest lume color to gens.

cheers,

babola

Can you do this yourself The Zigmeister if someone requested it?

Guys.. I can tell by first hand.. I have a genuine L 22 and a genuine 112 again with L

Both the watches seem to have C3 Lume.. (compared to the work done by Finepics with Tritec C3 Lume)

The 22 is from 2000 and the 112 from 2006.. One is painted and the other is sandwich and they have the same identical colour.

Guys.. I can tell by first hand.. I have a genuine L 22 and a genuine 112 again with L

Both the watches seem to have C3 Lume.. (compared to the work done by Finepics with Tritec C3 Lume)

The 22 is from 2000 and the 112 from 2006.. One is painted and the other is sandwich and they have the same identical colour.

I just ordered some lume from tritec. C3 and C1/White. I will post pics of the superlumed dial. I wrote, that a mixture of white and C3 should be the correct colour... have to try.

Agree V, but only to a degree. It's never C3 in its pure form, it's always mixed and pigmented with other lume compounds of diferent color. If it was pure C3 the indices will be yellow. DSN used to re-lume his dials with pure C3, resulting in nicely "aged" yellow dials on his 201/A and other pre-V "tritium" reps, but not that great on reps of Vendome era historics.

Again, we have both agreed previously on the fact that consistency is not the strongest Panerai's attribute, so some slight color variations are definitelly possible, even on their L models.

cheers,

babola

This has been discussed many times and there are many opinions of which color is correct C-1, C-3 or a mix of both...

I have seen the slime green lume and can tell it is no near to c-3 (color and performance)

If you are looking for the most powerfull lume go with c-3

I did mate, pure C3 'twas...and ended up looking too yellow, so I got it re-done in C1-70% / C3-30% mix and it's now looking 'right' to me :)

cheers,

babola