When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why & When Do I Need A Watchwinder

D@Loup

Dear all,

I'm about to buy my first mechanical watch very soon and for that I was told to buy a watchwinder to keep the watch running. Furthermore I was told that (and I read it on several topics on the internet) that such a watchwinder would prevent the watch from getting off of time and could prevent damaging when time had to be corrected manually.

On the other hand, isn't it a fact that if the watch is not worn to often that it -the watch mechanism) will not show traces of (abnormal) wear.

So I'm a bit confused here................... do I have to buy one to keep it running and because of that it could show signs of wear. Or do I not buy such a box and correct the time manually, everytime I want to wear the watch?

Ofcourse I have used the search function but I wasn't able to find a direct answer to my query. If you know a threat that shows any conclusive answer, please let me know.

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers :thumbsupsmileyanim:,

I agree with Sir Pug. A watchwinder makes it easier to just grab a different watch, put it on your wrist, and go without having to reset the calendar functions as well as the time. On some watches, complex date functions can be a pain to update.

On some watches, by which I mean the IWC Perpetual Calendar, I believe if you set your calendar badly and overshoot, you need to take it in to IWC to set it back. A winder isn't just a nicety for them, it's a necessity. Some places that sell perpetual calendars only sell them with winders.