When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dealer Serviced Watch

Tim

I didn't see where this was discussed before (if it was point me to the thread and I'll gladly read), but does anyone have an opinion about dealer serviced watches? Do you believe that they actually perform the value added services as described? I know some like TTK state that they QC every watch closely and make minor adjustments before shipment. Others sell a "perfect" version of a watch that has been pre-serviced, lubed, water tested, and whatnot. In some cases the servicing would be worth the extra money to me, but if the only difference between the $300 serviced watch and the $200 unserviced watch is the price and a gullible buyer--well I'd obviously pass.

Opinions?

/Tim

Edited by Tim

If you don't trust that the dealer will do what they say, then don't buy from the dealer. :rolleyes:

Seriously though.. there are a couple of schools of thought on this one. If it is a watch you love, it is darn near 1:1, it is a quality peice and you want to keep it for years to come then sure, get it serviced... it is a good value. You will have to do it on a regular basis.

If not then you may find that you replace it in a year or so and then it collects dust or you get rid of it. Keep in mind the economics of the whole thing as well (is the movement cheap, readily available and easy to swap).

All thing mechanical require service and all of these watchs will sooner or later require it. Question is.. do you care? ;o)

I once saw a member here who was visiting either Bangkok or China. He bought a couple of reps and was presented with the option of having them serviced at about $10 per watch. Now I understand that labor is cheap in these countries, but the fact that the 2 or three watches he bought were ready for him the next day leads me to believe that "Service", like "Super Lume", does not mean "Service" as in a complete tear down and oiling.

I once saw a member here who was visiting either Bangkok or China. He bought a couple of reps and was presented with the option of having them serviced at about $10 per watch. Now I understand that labor is cheap in these countries, but the fact that the 2 or three watches he bought were ready for him the next day leads me to believe that "Service", like "Super Lume", does not mean "Service" as in a complete tear down and oiling.

I too would find it real hard to beleive that was a full service.

It would be nice if Zig would volunteer to check out one of these so called "serviced" watches. What are you going to do when 2 years from now when your "serviced" watch dies? Will the dealer even remember who you are, let alone that you gave him $100 to maximize the life of the watch?

Dealers charge insane amounts of money for servicing and successfully manage to sell lots of these options because of the natural psychological impulses of human beings. You think, for $100, they will make my watch run for at least a decade! "In fact, I bet if I don't get the service, it will break in one year!" Read some of the posts in this thread - the scare tactics have started already.

My friend, these watch movements are indeed delicate and precise... but that does not qualify them as ticking time bombs (unless you are in daytona territory... then you're on your own). I own five watches and rotate one per week... how long do you think these 2836-2s and generic asia 21J will last? A whole lot longer than a year.

The people here who scream their watch broke after one year and (gasp) wasn't serviced are not giving you enough detail to judge properly if servicing would have prevented the death. What if they are aggressive with their pieces, wear them during sports, bump them, drop them...? You don't know! Take care of your timepiece, and spend the $150 on something new when yours gives out in 3 decades. I'm dead serious - it's a waste of money.

The only exception would be waterproofing... if you plan on swimming or showering with your watch, that would be the only time I would justify such a purchase... otherwise forget about it! I have brand new reps arrived broken and I own a cheap 10$ manual handwind Russian military style watch from the 60s that still ticks and tocks like new. If you want to waste your money like that you might as well use it as toilet paper...

Good luck :-)