When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Davidsen Rollie 6154

John Paul

Just got Davidsens Rolex dialed 6154 and I love it. This all started when I asked Enzo about a picture of a Rolex dialed 6154 that he had posted about the Anti-Panerai 6154. My original plan was to buy a 6154 from Davidsen and then have a custom Rolex dial made from the picture that Enzo supplied. But then Enzo said that Davidsen was working on the dial himself. To make a long story short, I contacted Davidsen and he confirmed what he was working on and sent me various pictures of the dial in differing stages of completion with differant hand configurations over the course of several weeks. I opted for the Rolex style pointy hands that Davidsen puts on his Marina Militare dialed 3646.

Well, I just got it today and it matches Enzo's picture extremely well. It came with a exhibition back and a solid case back with the requsite engraving inside. It has the gilt chapter ring, indeces surrounds and printing on the dial with the words:

ROLEX

OYSTER

PRECISION

just under the twelve O' clock marker. The dial lay out is that of a vintage Submariner but with slightly larger indeces. The color of the indeces themselves are orange and closely match the picture that Enzo provided. My wife thinks it is a handsome watch and likes it very much. The only thing that I would change is the color of the luminous. Having a couple of gen vintage Submariners, I know that the luminous has a tendancy to become a puffy sort of yellow and that is what I will eventually have done to mine. Davidsen, however, should not be faulted for this because he accurately matched the picture provided by Enzo. It should be noted also that I got the prototype watch too. In the end, I do love this watch and I'm sure it will garner lots of questions although it's a lot more low key than than the typical Panerai 12, 3, 6, 9 dial layout. Ive coupled mine with an Arron Tan distressed railroad car seat leather strap, the 26/26 version. I may have to go with the 26/24 version to add to the subtlety.

In terms of why the 6154 was originally created, well Enzo and others are the experts on that, but from what I understand, the Egyptian navy ordered them with the normal Panerai dial, but was unhappy with them. The cases that were purchased from Rolex went back to Rolex. Rolex then put thier own dials on them and sold them to the public.

As for pictures, go to Davidsen's Photobucket. It's on there under "Vintage Project Watches".

JP

Edited by John Paul