When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tell Me About Moneygram

BWL

Was looking to using moneygram online to make payment. They ask for SSN. Is this safe? Is it better to do it in person at one of their locations.

I tried to use WU once and got declined because I wasn't sure what to say to one of their representatives when they asked why I was sending money to this person on the confirmation call. Will I have to do a confirmation call to moneygram if I want to make payment?

I'm in the U.S.

It's better to travel to a Moneygram location and pay cash. There are more locations than Western Union!

If you use a credit card online it will most likely be considered a cash advance by your credit card company/bank which will incur an instant fee plus an increased APR on your balance. That's on top of the Moneygram transfer fee! You may want to speak to your credit card company/bank about it if you're not certain.

Also, I believe the Moneygram transfer fee is slightly less if done at one of their locations as opposed to online.

Generally they only ask if you know the person you're sending the money to. Just state an uneqivocal YES; most operators will not ask anything more. I have used Moneygram for years and haven't had any problems. If you apply for a free Moneygram card they will reduce their transfer fees slightly, too.

The transfer fees for Moneygram are generally less than Western Union.

Does that help?

Thanks for the reply. From what I can gather, you will fill out some type of form to send money, provide id and cash to pay. The person will asks if you know the person and you say yes.

"What is the payment for?"

"Ah, hmmm, ah, a fake rolex." Pause "oh [censored], I just didn't say that did I?"

Thanks for the reply. From what I can gather, you will fill out some type of form to send money, provide id and cash to pay. The person will asks if you know the person and you say yes.

"What is the payment for?"

"Ah, hmmm, ah, a fake rolex." Pause "oh [censored], I just didn't say that did I?"

They don't usually ask what it's for in my experience..

Being Canadian I only use Moneygram. Moneygram locations are located most National Canadian post offices.

I have found in the past that with service fees and exchange that Moneygram can be 15%-20% than WU or PayPal. Do the math.

No problems and no questions. 5 star.