When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Patek Phillipe

mglgal

hello all, i ve really been enjoying reading all the posts, advice, ect i'm going to get some pics up soon of my growing collection! anyone have good luck with any of the patek rep out there i'm looking at the perp calander, 5053, and 5079 please let me know, i'd love to hear some feedback thanks M

hello all, i ve really been enjoying reading all the posts, advice, ect i'm going to get some pics up soon of my growing collection! anyone have good luck with any of the patek rep out there i'm looking at the perp calander, 5053, and 5079 please let me know, i'd love to hear some feedback thanks M

I have the 5053 bought from Eddie Lee, the one with the officer's caseback. It's a magnificent watch. Keeps excellent time, and it is absolutely gorgeous in my opinion. I actually ordered two of them, but one had a problem of misaligned hands (the second hand would get caught on the minute hand). Eddie organized to have this fixed quickly, and all is good now.

I use this as my everyday dress watch, and have received several compliments!

The closest you're going to find from mainstream dealers is the 5070G rep; most dealers carry it. The cream face is wrong (should be white), but otherwise it's very close. The 5053 is not remotely close to anything genuine; it's a fine watch for keeping time, but don't try to pass it off as anything but a rep - it'll get called out every time... The closest gen runs a seconds at six subdial and does not have a date, so right away it's wrong. In addition, if you are unfortunate enough to get the 5053 rep with the blue Breguet hands, it's even worse; it'll scream 'fake' from across the room.

Just remember that complicated Pateks go for $30,000+, so be careful what you claim...

Of course if it's just for fun, get whatever you want! The Sky/Moon Toubillon (ref. 5002) is a popular rep, and for a couple hundred bucks you'll get a knock-off of a $600,000+ watch with two faces.

But if you're looking for realism, then be careful with the Pateks... My last Patek rep was heavily modded and cost $800 USD; good luck calling it out.

Bottom line - you get what you pay for.

Hope that helps.

hi Ethan, one other Q, Andrew has a very nice 5070, all solid stainless and with white face, not cream, how do you feel about this one?? hows the lamania movement been for you as well ?

Hi,

I just ordered it, should receive it within 10 days, I'll let you know my feelings. On the pics, it looks quite accurate, excpt the "base" mention missing on the dial. And of course the Lemania movement which is actually a copy of it. Not the same price anyway :whistling:

what PP did you mod

It's a vintage Patek 130; not something you can find floating around. In point of fact Jeff (addingwatch) had it modded by Zig; I picked it up when he offered it for sale. I'll be adding a custom Patek gator 19-14 strap from Aaron and a gen vintage buckle from eBay to complete it.

any luck with the gold plated or should i stick to SS

If you're talking about the 5070G, I'd stick to SS. White gold is easier to fake with polished SS than solid gold is to fake with plate...

one other Q, Andrew has a very nice 5070, all solid stainless and with white face, not cream, how do you feel about this one??

Andrew's 5070 DOES have a cream face; I know it looks white in the photos, but if you really look carefully, you'll see it's cream. It's the same 5070 that Josh carries, and you can see the actual color better in his photos. I like it anyway.

hows the lamania movement been for you as well ?

I have had no problems with the Lemania movement, nor should I; it's a solidly-good hand-wind movement.

On the pics, it looks quite accurate, excpt the "base" mention missing on the dial.

It's all in the details, Pix... Besides the BASE which is missing, the subdials intersect the 10, 8, 2, and 4 at the wrong points, the color of the numbers is wrong (in the white gold gen, they're black with a faint sheen; a semi-gloss - not silver), and the subdial color is WAY off. The chrono pushers are also the wrong shape, as is the crown.

All that said, it is very close as far as Patek reps go. If you want closer you can always get it and send it to The Zigmeister to have the numbers painted black semi-gloss, and see if he can apply the missing BASE as a decal.

As I said earlier, tricked-out with a custom PROPER Patek gloss gator strap (think $120; NOT $20...) this will be an awesome dress watch you can wear with pride. 99% of people who examine it - even closely - will not know it's a rep. Just don't wear it around anyone who seriously knows their Pateks/Breguets/Jaegers because the cream dial and mishapen pushers are dead giveaways.

Best of luck; glad to see someone into the dress exotics and not just endless PAMs... Oh no wait; I have three of those myself. Oh well. ;)

It's all in the details, Pix... Besides the BASE which is missing, the subdials intersect the 10, 8, 2, and 4 at the wrong points, the color of the numbers is wrong (in the white gold gen, they're black with a faint sheen; a semi-gloss - not silver), and the subdial color is WAY off. The chrono pushers are also the wrong shape, as is the crown.

Thx for the lesson Ethan ! Still have to train my eyes... :rolleyes:

nyway, this watch looks most smart for me, and I like this style, as I also like the Breguet style.

I'm coming from the 100 bucks reps (see my siggy), so I can only hope that, as inaccurate as it is, this 5070 will be some kind of shock for me.

I'm really looking forward to wear it and have the Seagull/Venus movement stuck on my wrist ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thx for the lesson Ethan !

No probs, Pix. You'll love it, for sure.

If you're into classic dress, you should check out the soft white-faced Jaeger Reserve de Marche; it's VERY close to the gen. The 3 o'clock dot marker (instead of the mini-arrow) is wrong, but it's hard to notice. The real giveaway is the red-tipped seconds hand at 6, but a very easy mod to do to fix a glaring error. Of course, the display back is all wrong, but on your wrist you can't see it anyway. Strap it up with a custom gator double-stitch and you've got a $12,000-looking watch for ~$300 (incl. the strap).

I see we're both never satisfied with the original strap... I mean the original rep strap !

I usually find what I look for on ebay.

As far as dressy watches are concerned, I like these too :

http://www.ttwristwatch.com/index.php?main...products_id=834 (already some kind of hybrid)

http://www.ttwristwatch.com/index.php?main...;products_id=13

For the Breguet, I had long hesitations against the Patek. I finally chosed the Patek because I liked the pushers more and usually I prefer the arabic digits to roman ones.

Sorry, I'm a bit off-topic.

hello Ethan, how much will it run fr The Zigmeister to fix markers, decal, band, also is The Zigmeister in US or abroad??

The Zigmeister is in Canada, and you'll need to open a discussion with him about what he would charge for the work. He's easy to find in the forum.

also Ethan i'm glad you share my zeal for other reps , what do you think about the bregeut ones too?? better than PP?? thanks

That's a tough call; it depends what you're looking for. I own the Breguet skeletonized flying tourbillon rep, which I strapped with a genuine black ostrich and is absolutely beautiful. But it's a rep of a $100,000.00 watch... You do need to be able to 'walk-the'walk' - so to speak - with this thing on your wrist. It is also available without the Breguet logo; you don't need to be as concerned with what you're projecting if the brand name isn't there.

There aren't many good reps of either House, actually. Plus, as I've said above, you're talking about watches in the $30,000.00-$100,000.00 range, so if anyone looks your rep up online and sees the retail, you could get called out pretty quickly. That said, it's good to keep an eye on these as there will be changes, and versions and models come and go, so you might get lucky. There are better Jaegers than either Pateks or Breguets to be had rep-wise; the Memovox, Reserve de Marche, Duo Time, and straight-forward basic Master Control are all very close.

Hope that helps.

thanks for all the help Ethan, it really helps when good people like you halp us new members out- its greatly appreciated! I pm'd The Zigmeister so hopefully he will get back to me! I think i'm going to go with the PP 5070 and get it modded, i do like the bregeut chrono and classique but dont know how close they are and much prefer the lemania movement. I'd love to see a pic of you watch whenever you get time!! thanks again for all the info and help ,Marc

Andrew's 5070 DOES have a cream face; I know it looks white in the photos, but if you really look carefully, you'll see it's cream.

Hi both,

I have just received my 5070 from Josh today.

Actually the dial is white... for sure !

I promise to make a review until this week-end.

Whatever the lacks are, I can already tell you that it absolutely looks gorgeous ! :wub:

Warm regards.

Hi,

I'm very impressed by the quality. That's my 4th rep, the first over 200 USD (other were 90-120).

Here are 2 shots (I posted in the week-end wrist shots).

Do not bother about the colour, it was done under my living room's light, so it's yellowish. But I warranty that the dial is white.

As written, I promise to make a review until this week-end. Sorry to keep you waiting.

212710-16359.jpg

212710-16360.jpg

I can tell you that the look is different from polished stainless steel. I do not know if the manufacturer really applies white gold, but it actually looks different compared to my other SS watches. I would compare this to a mirror or some kind of chrome. The look is "colder" than polished SS.

Cheers

PS : I swapped the strap. The original actually looks very standard (not cheap, just standard) and people who like leather (as I do) would remark it's not the level of the watch. I put a ZRC alligator grain strap. Actually an excellent copy of alligator pattern. And as soon as I have a good opportunity on ebay (less than 50 USD) I'll go for a real gator.

PS2 : the a.m. remarks, especially regarding the position of the subdials are correct. Not perfect against the gen, but we have here a great watch : you can't regret it. The back of the watch is simply a real jewel. It's very childish, but...today I just got "ahh" and "ohhh" at the office. :-) Fortunately noone's aware about Philippe Patek...