When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would You Wear A Po Black With A Suite

wadan

Ethan - I myself don't give a sh*t about your outdated, overly conservative fashion advice. If I want to wear my PO with a suit, I'm going to wear my damn PO with a suit, and thats that. No one will care, say anything, or do anything about it (except for fashion policia, like yourself). I agree with pug, that fashion etiquitte, like everything else in this world, becomes outdated... So honestly, save the GQ fashion advice for the Paneristi boards....

P.S. What does etiquette say about wearing replica watches????? :whistling:

Thanks for chiming in with something totally useless, member 4980. All you have confirmed about your knowledge of etiquette and manners is that you have no sense of either.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great point! I should specify that I am referring to European business etiquette as it is applied in the general global business community. Certainly, I have colleagues who are devout Muslims who do not shake my hand; I don't consider that rude at all. Nor would I consider a Sikh rude for wearing his turban at my dinner table. Each is a tradition, and should be preserved as well.

I think that is where we are far off - i'm speaking of US business.

Thanks for chiming in with something totally useless, member 4980. All you have confirmed about your knowledge of etiquette and manners is that you have no sense of either.

Useless? LOL :lol: .... Everything you spat upon this board has been exactly that... useless, outdated, overly conservative information..... about ETIQUTETTE of all things. It sure is a pressing issue in the world these days.

And what does my member number have to do with anything??? Are you insinuating that because I am new to the board that I am uneducated or "dumb"? This topic has absolutely NOTHING to do with replica's and has gone so far off-topic it's ridiculous (thanks mostly to you I might add). So I would stop and think about what your saying before throwing some smug, ignorant comment up on the board.

Useless? LOL :lol: .... Everything you spat upon this board has been exactly that... useless, outdated, overly conservative information..... about ETIQUTETTE of all things. It sure is a pressing issue in the world these days.

And what does my member number have to do with anything??? Are you insinuating that because I am new to the board that I am uneducated or "dumb"? This topic has absolutely NOTHING to do with replica's and has gone so far off-topic it's ridiculous (thanks mostly to you I might add). So I would stop and think about what your saying before throwing some smug, ignorant comment up on the board.

And what useful, informative posts have you contributed in the one whole month you've been here member 4980? Why so aggressive and angry? Did Mommy and Daddy not hold you enough?

Cool. I'll be unemployed in a month. Maybe you need techies, too. :D

PM me Pug; we need techies all the time.

And what useful, informative posts have you contributed in the one whole month you've been here member 4980? Why so aggressive and angry? Did Mommy and Daddy not hold you enough?

And that is just so extremely mature coming from someone who is as concerned with etiquette as yourself. <_<

Edited by dak244

The irony of telling someone they have no sense, in a sentence that isn't gramatically correct, and thus, doesn't make any sense :lol:

The sentence you referred to was grammatically correct, member 4980. I wouldn't expect you to know that, of course, especially since the quote from your reply (above) is not. I mean, Good Lord, member 4980; four posts back you misspelled etiquette!

Are you still angry?

The sentence you referred to was grammatically correct, member 4980. I wouldn't expect you to know that, of course, especially since the quote from your reply (above) is not. I mean, Good Lord, member 4980; four posts back you misspelled etiquette!

Are you still angry?

LOL :D Is this how little computer "nerds" like yourself get your kicks... trying to belittle someone with words?

LOL :D Is this how little computer "nerds" like yourself get your kicks... trying to belittle someone with words?

Uh... Didn't you just try to do the same thing? Of course, you've now edited that sentence out of your post... But let me help you out:

The irony of telling someone they have no sense, in a sentence that isn't gramatically correct, and thus, doesn't make any sense

Yup; still ugly. Oh, and by the way

Sadly, reference material on this subject is growing rarer and rarer... As you can see from this thread, there are few who care anymore in the 'screw-you-I'm-too-proud-to-learn' generation. To answer your question, I have an extensive library, and two of the subjects that I collect on are etiquette and dress. I also studied the psychology of dress as part of one of my Masters' degrees.

I only ask the question, because I would like to have access to the information. I too tried to research and could not come up with anything supporting or challanging that position. . Also while i am not exaclty emily post. I have seen what i thought were some fairly impressive metal banded watches in my time.. my mom has an old solid 20 ct white gold bulova probably at least 50 years old that could pass as a dress jewelery and i have seen some impressive diamond bezeled rolexes too. I am having a hard time not thinking of them as acceptable dress wear.

my mom has an old solid 20 ct white gold bulova probably at least 50 years old that could pass as a dress jewelery and i have seen some impressive diamond bezeled rolexes too. I am having a hard time not thinking of them as acceptable dress wear.

It's different for women, edd. I'm sure your Mom's watch looks great. Again, it's more to do with what Pug said about the difference between etiquette, and style. As I said earlier, there are no enforced rules; you wear what you like - just be aware of what you're projecting by doing so.

There's nothing stopping some kid from coming into my office with a baseball hat on (other than the dress policy). But if he does, I'm going to assume that i) he was never taught that this is disrespectful - which speaks to his upbringing, or ii) he was taught that this is disrespectful, and he doesn't give a sh*t. While he may have an excuse for having not been taught proper etiquette growing up, he doesn't have an excuse for not learning it on his own. The ii) scenario is just plain rude. It's just about the little telling details that are interpreted and elicit a specific response in human interaction.

It's not a rulebook. If you want to wear a big, diamond encrusted Rolex to an EC meeting, go ahead. P Diddy does. But then again, P Diddy is a product in and of himself; he's about what sells. He does not, however, influence foreign policy, effect economic trends, educate on a mass-scale, or participate in global commerce at the level where people who notice these things spend their time.

Bottom line: do you want open doors? Or closed doors? Don't think for a second that minute, seemingly insignificant crap like this doesn't make that kind of a difference.

Maybe it's best if we each just show some respect towards each other, regardless of our position in life, or even if we think other might not be telling the truth regarding their own position.

Lets just enjoy the fact that we share at least one common interest and that is what brings us here and forget about anything else that surrounds us.

Edited by Rxus

yada...yada...yada

The well dressed man wears a solid 14 K gen watch with a leather strap. That's the final answer.

well i tired to do some research on this last evening (yes i need a life) .. as ethan mentioned, there is not a lot out there. Where I did find references on the topic of watches and etiquette,(GQ, askmen.com, a few US based business schools, and even Emily Post) the guidance was that a dress watch should be thin, relatively small (which i took to mean less smaler than 38MM or so) simple and understated (so much for the presidential) and have few complications on the dial. No diamonds. No divers watches etc...

Interestingly, I did not find any preference stated for straps vs metal bracelets. In fact one site (I think it was askman.com) showed a watch with a metal bracelet AS a dress watch (it did seem to fit the other attributes of dress watch referred to). I am not saying they were correct, just that it was displayed that way, and that I could not find reference to a strap being more correct than a bracelet. Still in my mines eye i kept seeing simple executive style Pateks.

I did find mention that proper etiquette dictates that wrist watches should NOT be worn at ANY black tie event.

So I guess I learned something yesterday and thanks for that.

Not only that but I was inspired! Today, I am wearing a simple gen Baume and Mercier Hampton Classic with a simple leather strap.. no complicated dials no date, with a pinstripe brooks bros. suit.

As an editorial aside, I think the reason you may have hit a nerve with some members yesterday (including me initially) had less to do with the context of your message than it did with its style. I am sure you meant no offense, but the use or words like "Middle Managment" in the context it was used in, or "minions" in ANY context has the potential to seem condescending, even if they are not directed toward the audience yo are addressing. I am sure that was not the intent, but I think it accounts for the reaction.

Anyway, just my 2 cts. As another famoust philosopher, Wavy Gravy once put it, "take it with how many grains of salt you choose."

p.s. call me Ed for short!! :victory: