When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did this ever happen to anyone?

I got a letter from a courier company recently wanting almost $50 in taxes and duties for a rep delivered almost a 6 weeks ago. It was based on the price on the declaration ($70). So far now I've spent $318 on the watch, $50 on returning two faulty watches and $50 in customs duty. So around $418 for an asia 7750 rep and I still dont have a working watch on my wrist. Waiting for the slow slow china post to return my faulty watches to the dealer so he can send a third replacement! Its things like this that make me question the whole thing really... :o

Don't feel alone. I sent back one of my watches over a month ago and it still hasen't arrived at its destination.

I guess we will have to be very patient. But I like to think the wait makes it seem more authentic. There are, after all, very large waiting lists for some watches like the Rolex Daytona.

I happened to me but not with a watch. It was a gift but they don't care.

It was bulky, so since they are using size/weight stats to figure the shipping cost, the VAT they charge me (which covers both the declared value of the good + the customs' transportation fee estimation) was $70 for something that initially cost $90 !!

I couldn't find a way to dodge this bill.

If you do let us know the trick...

If you do let us know the trick...

Couriers (DHL et al) are a complete PITA. With postal services, if customs want to raise duties they have to do so start to finish....so most gets thru (with creative declarations). The couriers on the other hand pre determine how much is due and pay it to customs each and every time.....THEN, (as pointed out here) invoice the unlucky reciepient quite some time after delivery!!!!!!!

A maths proffessor couldnt figuer out the charging systems either!! Abitary shipping fees rolled into it - sometimes 500% more than what actually paid....I could go on and on. Simply tho, no one in their right f@@king mind would use them in this game. However if you use dropshippers who ship your goods from China this will sometimes happen as when there are crackdowns re reps in the post its the only option open.

How to avoid the bill...............VERY SIMPLE.............ALWAYS SEND THESE SHIPMENTS TO A PHONEY NAME c/o THE ACTUAL ADDRESS

Then take delivery as normal when the bill comes for 'Mr Papagopolous' ring up and say he was a travelling acquaintance who stayed at your address and left shortly after receiving his mail.......'why didnt you collect this money on delivery, like the mailman would? :whistling: ' Where is he now? 'dont know, think he went hiking in Patagonia...if you find him ask him about the $500 he owes me' etc etc ....say goodnight Gracie

Couriers (DHL et al) are a complete PITA. With postal services, if customs want to raise duties they have to do so start to finish....so most gets thru (with creative declarations). The couriers on the other hand pre determine how much is due and pay it to customs each and every time.....THEN, (as pointed out here) invoice the unlucky reciepient quite some time after delivery!!!!!!!

A maths proffessor couldnt figuer out the charging systems either!! Abitary shipping fees rolled into it - sometimes 500% more than what actually paid....I could go on and on. Simply tho, no one in their right f@@king mind would use them in this game. However if you use dropshippers who ship your goods from China this will sometimes happen as when there are crackdowns re reps in the post its the only option open.

How to avoid the bill...............VERY SIMPLE.............ALWAYS SEND THESE SHIPMENTS TO A PHONEY NAME c/o THE ACTUAL ADDRESS

Then take delivery as normal when the bill comes for 'Mr Papagopolous' ring up and say he was a travelling acquaintance who stayed at your address and left shortly after receiving his mail.......'why didnt you collect this money on delivery, like the mailman would? :whistling: ' Where is he now? 'dont know, think he went hiking in Patagonia...if you find him ask him about the $500 he owes me' etc etc ....say goodnight Gracie

Would this method also work on genuine items ? Eg. buying a genuine 2nd hand Omega from the US for $2,000 and getting it sent to Mr Papadapoulos c/o your home address, fully insured in case it gets lost in the mail?

If so, which shipping companies should I use ? :D

Good trick... but won't work in my case. No name, no delivery: under the same address are around 20 mail boxes...

cheers!