When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just got my SMP from Josh

omeega

This is my first replica purchase, but certainly not my last. I'm hooked, and my friends are catching on too. I just don't know what's coming next....

I had to buy the quintessential classic blue SMP as my first rep. I knew going into it that there would be flaws coming from the new generation, so I'll start with those. Most noticable is the missing hour marker at 3 oclock. I even asked Josh about this prior to purchase and he referred me to his pictures online which show the marker. Bummer. The bezel was also misaligned, that was expected. The hour and minute hands also have some rough looking edges on close inspection.

Now, the good news is that I love the watch. I'm glad it showed up at all and quite quickly to boot. It's overall look, feel and weight are excellent. I had no problems adjusting the band, but I don't know if I'll attempt the bezel mod. I'd rather live with it than mess it up. If I hadn't spent hours scouring this site I wouldn't have noticed any of it, so I guess it doesn't matter. When I have the money and if I actually care I'll buy a real one. I'll post pics in a day or two.

Thanks Josh and the entire community for all the insight.

I'd be interested to see a pic to show the missing marker.

With regards to the bezel, they are very easy to remove. I simply wrapped sellotape around the blade of a thin table knife, slipped it under the bezel and popped it off with a slight twist of the wrist. When doing this, I would advise you to cup your fingers around the watch incase the bezel spring tries to escape. If you then press against the back of the insert, you will see if it is taped or cemented into position. If it's only taped, just press it forwards, re-allign it, and press it back into place If it's cemented, it might be worth taking it to an independent jeweller/watchmaker to get them to re-allign. When it comes to replacing the bezel, the easiest thing to do is to put the bezel spring inside the bezel, allign the spring's pin with the case hole, and then press the bezel back into place. Be warned, doing this, the spring might well launch itself across the room and it is either something that will either go in first go, or take ages to do (not tricky or difficult by any means, it is merely time-consuming) If you do lose the spring, don't worry as I've got a load I made myself when I lost mine :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Congrats on the watch, and best of luck with any mods you carry out :victory:

That is a really nice looking watch. Removing the bezel to re-allign the insert is very easy. If you do decide to modify the watch, what did you plan on doing? My 2531.80 has a black dial which is also sans 3 marker. I had not planned on replacing the dial as I knew the date-wheel would not line up properly (as the window would be nearer the center of the dial) If (by some remote possibility) you ever decide to replace that dial with one that does have the 3 marker, could I buy that dial from you?

Omeega,

Very slick looking watch, even w/ the missing 3 o clock marker. The ZigmeisterZumba can probably paint the marker on for you at a reasonable fee. I know he will completely re-lume the hands/dial of a watch with real Superluminova for a just $100. I'm planning on sending him my watch as soon as I can bear to part with it for a couple weeks.

I also purchased a SMP from Josh and am very happy w/ the watch and ordering process (received watch in 6 days). I got the 300M Chronograph version which is also a superb reproduction (except for the bezel misalignment and screws). Unfortunately, one of the screws got bent/jammed and I spent 2 hours carefully cutting off a link w/ a hacksaw to get it off! All is well now though. I plan on putting a tiny drop of a silver colored glue/epoxy on the ends of the screw to make it look like a pin. Hopefully, this will give me the desired effect. I also plan on adjusting the bezel insert once I read a bit more so I don't screw it up. There is an excellent "Bond SMP" modification guide by By-Tor in the "repair & Upgrade" section which has the details.

Tee Jay,

Thanks for posting the additional info on adjusting the bezel insert since I wasn't sure how difficult this mod was. Your feedback is appreciated!

Regards,

Jeff

Tee Jay,

Thanks for posting the additional info on adjusting the bezel insert since I wasn't sure how difficult this mod was. Your feedback is appreciated!

Regards,

Jeff

No problem at all. I found the 'hardest' part of the procedure was getting the bezel back on the watch case without the spring launching itself away, but I think that was something to do with the spring itself. I think the original spring was slightly twisted, so as the locator pin was going into the case hole, the end was then moving down out of the 'saw teeth' inside the bezel and catapaulting away. I lost that spring (still haven't found it) so made a new spring out of a bead bracelet that was the same gauge wire. With the new (un-twisted) spring in place, it went back on almost immediately.

Getting the bezel off really is just a matter of slipping a taped knife blade under (I removed the bracelet so I could use the case lug as a brace) the bezel and giving a slight, but firm twist of your wrist. Obviously, use the length of the blade, not the tip, but you should find it pop off with little trouble. My only other advise is to use a knife that does not have serations on the blade (less chance of it biting into the case) and has as narrow a blade as possible (to assist with getting it under the bezel) Best of luck, and I'm glad to've been of help :)

I'd be interested to see a pic to show the missing marker.

With regards to the bezel, they are very easy to remove. I simply wrapped sellotape around the blade of a thin table knife, slipped it under the bezel and popped it off with a slight twist of the wrist. When doing this, I would advise you to cup your fingers around the watch incase the bezel spring tries to escape. If you then press against the back of the insert, you will see if it is taped or cemented into position. If it's only taped, just press it forwards, re-allign it, and press it back into place If it's cemented, it might be worth taking it to an independent jeweller/watchmaker to get them to re-allign. When it comes to replacing the bezel, the easiest thing to do is to put the bezel spring inside the bezel, allign the spring's pin with the case hole, and then press the bezel back into place. Be warned, doing this, the spring might well launch itself across the room and it is either something that will either go in first go, or take ages to do (not tricky or difficult by any means, it is merely time-consuming) If you do lose the spring, don't worry as I've got a load I made myself when I lost mine :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Congrats on the watch, and best of luck with any mods you carry out :victory:

Or just follow By Tor's excellent guide with PICS!!!

http://www.replicacollector.com/members/Co...ide-t22790.html

:thumbsupsmileyanim: