When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 063 - dial

pam1950

I was just about to pull the trigger on Davidsen's 063 when I read about his dial issues...apparently his 063 has some advantages, but the dial -as I understand it- seems to be off. Are Josh/Trusty's dials better on the 063? if so, what are the known trade-offs compared to Davidsen's?

thanks for any insight you can give me!

I was just about to pull the trigger on Davidsen's 063 when I read about his dial issues...apparently his 063 has some advantages, but the dial -as I understand it- seems to be off. Are Josh/Trusty's dials better on the 063? if so, what are the known trade-offs compared to Davidsen's?

thanks for any insight you can give me! Manu

The dial is off, and the handset isn't exactly correct. Also, the GEN has the 2893 movement which can be purchased for a not too unreasonable amount. I'm not positive, but the GEN also does not have an AR coat on the crystal. Now that Finepics has the correct datewheel, and Chieftang has the 7mm cyclops, we can now create the ultimate 29/63. Just need the hands!! I can live the current REP dial.

Couple of quick comments:

1. The dial is off on both. However, Josh/Trusty's is better. I which they would fix it though - as the numbers are closer in on the dial than the gen and the A in Panerai is wrong.

2. 6MM is more correct, but the watchmen version has too much distortion. Go for the 6.75MM version when it is available, if it magnifies more clearly.

3. Handsets come up on fleabay every so often - so wait for it!

4. Use a real 2893 (if you can get the handset). More gen and better movement.

This is my favorite PAM. I just wish the dial options were better. Argh.... Perfection is always tough.

1. The dial is off on both. However, Josh/Trusty's is better. I which they would fix it though - as the numbers are closer in on the dial than the gen and the A in Panerai is wrong.

2. 6MM is more correct, but the watchmen version has too much distortion. Go for the 6.75MM version when it is available, if it magnifies more clearly.

This is my favorite PAM. I just wish the dial options were better. Argh.... Perfection is always tough.

I agree that the dial is 'off' but only in the A, where the crossbar is too low. However the numbers are closer (in a tighter circle) on the gen 'A' series, 'T' dial only. The rep watches replicate the 'B' series watches with the L dials where the wider number spacing is 100% correct. Please don't be put off by this detail as this is a common misconception regarding the 029 and 063.

Get the datewheel, Palp crown and cyclops and, based on the older 2893 rep, you will have the most accurate, top quality Panerai rep. I love my 029. The best thing about these is that few Paneristi will have seen a 'B' series in the flesh and you are highly unlikely to be called out anywhere.

I agree that the dial is 'off' but only in the A, where the crossbar is too low. However the numbers are closer (in a tighter circle) on the gen 'A' series, 'T' dial only. The rep watches replicate the 'B' series watches with the L dials where the wider number spacing is 100% correct. Please don't be put off by this detail as this is a common misconception regarding the 029 and 063.

Get the datewheel, Palp crown and cyclops and, based on the older 2893 rep, you will have the most accurate, top quality Panerai rep. I love my 029. The best thing about these is that few Paneristi will have seen a 'B' series in the flesh and you are highly unlikely to be called out anywhere.

I lost placement on what we were talking about. I am talking about the b series 063. The A crossbar is off, yep agree on that. The point i was trying to mention is that the numbers around the dial (1-24) and probably the seconds ticks are printed too inward. That is why my genuine hands are still too long. There are other good threads on this. Are you saying that the replica mistakenly replicated the A series dial?

Sorry if i am a little confused.

The rep B dial itself looks great. Printing, etc. I just wish they would reprint with corrected A's and slightly closer to the edge with the numbers. Other than that - it is great.

The 029 is printed differently - not talking about that.

The watchmen did have a bit of distortion, but so do the gens. I have a watchmen cyclops on my 2892 063, and it meets my expectations. It is, however, slightly too strong in mangnifcation power in my opinion. Nevertheless it is a huge improvement over what comes from the Chinese factory, and not any concern to me. Perhaps it's an illusion, though, as my datewheel is inaccurate. The numbers might just look over-magnified due to them being the wrong size and font to begin with. Once I receive the Finepics datewheel, I will have my final say.

All that said, I think there is still significant interest in 6mm cyclopes. I'm toying with the idea of doing a 6mm run once I've paid off my investment in the 6.75mm versions. If it does come to fruition, I'd probably make them ever so slightly weaker in mag power than the watchmen so as to slightly reduce total thickness, distortion, and reflections.

The watchmen did have a bit of distortion, but so do the gens. I have a watchmen cyclops on my 2892 063, and it meets my expectations. It is, however, slightly too strong in mangnifcation power in my opinion. Nevertheless it is a huge improvement over what comes from the Chinese factory, and not any concern to me. Perhaps it's an illusion, though, as my datewheel is inaccurate. The numbers might just look over-magnified due to them being the wrong size and font to begin with. Once I receive the Finepics datewheel, I will have my final say.

All that said, I think there is still significant interest in 6mm cyclopes. I'm toying with the idea of doing a 6mm run once I've paid off my investment in the 6.75mm versions. If it does come to fruition, I'd probably make them ever so slightly weaker in mag power than the watchmen so as to slightly reduce total thickness, distortion, and reflections.

Great news on the 6mm. I missed the boat first time around, but I won't this time!

There's a B series? I thought that it was C series only, and that the B was actually a mistake on the back of the watch. The Vendome listing on P-risti only shows C. Thanks for the info! Good to know.

There's a B series? I thought that it was C series only, and that the B was actually a mistake on the back of the watch. The Vendome listing on P-risti only shows C. Thanks for the info! Good to know.

I have a picture of a genuine 'B' series 029, taken from the Paneristi.com sales forum. This includes a shot of the caseback and the rep is so accurate. However I can't figure how to post photos but I can email them to someone who may be able to post it for information.

I also have the 6MM cyclops. I am certainly no expert - but does shape have anything to do with this? When I look at genuine PAMs in the AD, the cyclops does also have distortion - but it is pushed more to the edges. If you look more directly head on with a genine - it looks very clear. On my watchmen, it is still distorted.

Moving to the 6.75, while incorrect, if less distorted, will be more believable. I doubt people could see the .75mm difference or would even be looking for that. But distortion is something that even my wife can pick up.

I also have the 6MM cyclops. I am certainly no expert - but does shape have anything to do with this? When I look at genuine PAMs in the AD, the cyclops does also have distortion - but it is pushed more to the edges. If you look more directly head on with a genine - it looks very clear. On my watchmen, it is still distorted.

Moving to the 6.75, while incorrect, if less distorted, will be more believable. I doubt people could see the .75mm difference or would even be looking for that. But distortion is something that even my wife can pick up.

My watchmen does not produce distortion when viewed straight on. I think there are a few possibilities with yours: (1) installation problems; (2) your watch has a deeper rehaut than mine which results in a higher magnification and increased apparent distortion (mine is a 2892 063); (3) your cyclops is out of spec (unlikely).

I lost placement on what we were talking about. I am talking about the b series 063. The A crossbar is off, yep agree on that. The point i was trying to mention is that the numbers around the dial (1-24) and probably the seconds ticks are printed too inward. That is why my genuine hands are still too long. There are other good threads on this. Are you saying that the replica mistakenly replicated the A series dial?

Sorry if i am a little confused.

The rep B dial itself looks great. Printing, etc. I just wish they would reprint with corrected A's and slightly closer to the edge with the numbers. Other than that - it is great.

The 029 is printed differently - not talking about that.

Okay, so once again, who has the "best" 063 dial?? I just purchased the 2893-2 movement, the correct datewheel, and the GMT handset for the 2893-2 which is already C3 lumed. I'm ordering the 6.75mm cyclops once I decide on a total. And now I need the dial. Should I go with Joshua, Davidsen, or something else entirely!!

Thanks 063 experts!!

skc

Okay, so once again, who has the "best" 063 dial?? I just purchased the 2893-2 movement, the correct datewheel, and the GMT handset for the 2893-2 which is already C3 lumed. I'm ordering the 6.75mm cyclops once I decide on a total. And now I need the dial. Should I go with Joshua, Davidsen, or something else entirely!!

Thanks 063 experts!!

skc

Josh/Trusty. my 2 cents