When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strange behaviour

fredrik m

I have an Asian 21J Omega Seamaster GMT with a very strange behaviour.

On the wrist the watch keeps perfect time and seams to wind just fine.

When I take it of at night and leave it on my desk the hour, minute and GMT hands stops after a couple of hours BUT the second hand keeps running.

I have watched the second hand for a couple of revolutions and it works just fine but the minute hand is completely still.

When I set the time it sometimes feels a little bit rough.

When the time is set the watch runs perfect again.

Your cannon pin is slipping or defective...

RG

Sounds like it is slipping...but problem may not be with cannon pinion...could be another gear providing too much resistance. But, it is definately under the dial in one of the gears that drives the date change.

I have this problem with a 2836 that is getting replaced with a 2846, so I've decided not to get it repaired. Is it something simple to fix that a beginner can use as his first foray under the dial? :D

It's not too difficult to repair, certainly easier and less prone to damage than trying to change any other gears. You have to remove the dial and hands, then the datewheel, datechange cover, keyless works cover, then all the associated drive gears, and finally the cannon pin gear. Best reference is to use the ETA tech sheets they show the disassembly steps (not much use in this case for an Asian model).

If your seconds hand works, but the minute/hour hands stop, it's always the cannon pin that is causing it, it can't be anything else. If any of the other gears were bad or casuing too much resistance, the seconds hand would stop running. The fact that the seconds hand works, indicates that the problem is dial side, if it was the calendar gear jamming up, the movement would stop, and the seconds hand would not run at all...

@kruzer00

Why were you not in Toronto last week when I was??? You did that on purpose didn't you...you could have joined me and KenMc for dinner...

It's probably kids that came originally from NY that are excempt from school due to the cold, the canucks will be out on the ponds playing hockey all day...

RG

It's not too difficult to repair, certainly easier and less prone to damage than trying to change any other gears. You have to remove the dial and hands, then the datewheel, datechange cover, keyless works cover, then all the associated drive gears, and finally the cannon pin gear. Best reference is to use the ETA tech sheets they show the disassembly steps (not much use in this case for an Asian model).

If your seconds hand works, but the minute/hour hands stop, it's always the cannon pin that is causing it, it can't be anything else. If any of the other gears were bad or casuing too much resistance, the seconds hand would stop running. The fact that the seconds hand works, indicates that the problem is dial side, if it was the calendar gear jamming up, the movement would stop, and the seconds hand would not run at all...

@kruzer00

Why were you not in Toronto last week when I was??? You did that on purpose didn't you...you could have joined me and KenMc for dinner...

It's probably kids that came originally from NY that are excempt from school due to the cold, the canucks will be out on the ponds playing hockey all day...

RG

Agreed...the canon pin is slipping. Cannon pinions are designed to slip under certain conditions, such as when you set a watch. When you set one backwards, not all second hands stop...some continue to run. So, enough force can cause them to slip without stopping the watch. That is the only point I was making. Not trying to "out The Zigmeister", The Zigmeister. :rolleyes:

Agreed...the canon pin is slipping. Cannon pinions are designed to slip under certain conditions, such as when you set a watch. When you set one backwards, not all second hands stop...some continue to run. So, enough force can cause them to slip without stopping the watch. That is the only point I was making. Not trying to "out ziggy", ziggy. :rolleyes:

Understood...if the seconds hand keeps turning, but the other hands are stopped, then it's always the cannon pin. Common problem on the Asian 7750 models...

RG

Understood...if the seconds hand keeps turning, but the other hands are stopped, then it's always the cannon pin. Common problem on the Asian 7750 models...

RG

hello The Zigmeister, got the info lists of mods you do but how can i talk more about what i want done , i can't pm you?? please let me know thanks mglgal

@pug...

Here is the link to ETA.

https://secure.eta.ch/CSP/DesktopDefault.as...=3&tabid=28

@mglgal

You asked me if I provided certain services and parts, I sent you to my capabilities list link. My capabilities states clearly "What you see here is ALL I do, if it's not here I DON'T do or offer it..." Your response back to me was with the exact same questions you asked in the first place, and since what your looking for is NOT listed on my capabilities list, that would say to me that you never bothered to read what I sent to you.

If you can't take 5 minutes to read my capabilities list and see what I do and don't offer, I can't be bothered to spend anymore time answering your questions...

RG

Hey The Zigmeister-

For once I guessed right. When in doubt always blame the cannon pinion. :lol: By the way I am in Toronto for the day and it is too cold to be believed. They are not even sending the kids to school. What happened to that tough Canadians thing. :lol:

well you won't be too happy when you get back to NY either...

@pug...

Here is the link to ETA.

https://secure.eta.ch/CSP/DesktopDefault.as...=3&tabid=28

@mglgal

You asked me if I provided certain services and parts, I sent you to my capabilities list link. My capabilities states clearly "What you see here is ALL I do, if it's not here I DON'T do or offer it..." Your response back to me was with the exact same questions you asked in the first place, and since what your looking for is NOT listed on my capabilities list, that would say to me that you never bothered to read what I sent to you.

If you can't take 5 minutes to read my capabilities list and see what I do and don't offer, I can't be bothered to spend anymore time answering your questions...

RG

Hello RG, please don't take my newbie question as offensive! i read over your list carefully and it explained a lot of your services, but there was a part where it said that if you require work beyond the scope listed here that it would be billed at an hourly rate. Thats what i thought was under "work outside what was listed"

I wanted to see if you would be willing to do this work as you are most highly regarded and i wanted to go to someone with a good rep, sorry for the extra email i just wanted see if you had gotten it.

i hope we can still work something out, i know your time is valuable and i am not someone who has ill intent -just a newbie. i would still like service done and custom mods at your discretion, but that is 100% up to you, please let me know either way, many thanks ML

Hello RG, please don't take my newbie question as offensive! i read over your list carefully and it explained a lot of your services, but there was a part where it said that if you require work beyond the scope listed here that it would be billed at an hourly rate.

I wanted to see if you would be willing to do this work as you are most highly regarded and i wanted to go to someone with a good rep, sorry for the extra email i just wanted see if you had gotten it. i hope we can still work something out, many thanks ML

It has nothing to do with "newbieness", I never look at post count or join date, everyone is the same to me... If you had said in your PM what you did here, I would have understoood, your PM answer told me that you did not read my information that I passed on to you...

The hourly rate is indeed for work beyond the capabilities list, but mostly referring to repairs of broken watches. You asked if I could supply certain parts, and I don't list or carry any upgrade parts, or sell watches...I only fix them. I of course have movement parts - since I fix movements.

You can PM me and we can work something out.

RG