When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Brietling Navitimer TT - Blue Dial

hiker01

I have a Brietling Navitimer TT and assumed it was waterproofed. Went and took a shower with it

the other day and, to my horror, found the crystal fogged up big time....I tried to blow dry it as suggested

by the dealer, but that didn't worked, so I put it in one of my house's vents and that cleared it up after

being placed there overnight. Question? Should I have it serviced? Any suggestion?

I suspect the moisture came in thru the Slide Rule Dial and not from the pushers and crown.

Thanks!!!!

You will notice that the Navitimer you have makes no reference to being water resistant anywhere on the case. That is because even the genuine is not waterproof (3 Bars - resistant to splashing, 5 Bars is required for swimming). It is a pilots watch, not a divers watch. The reason is that because the sliderule is positioned inside the crystal, the whole bezel/crystal/sliderule assembly must spin. I would think that it would be impossible to get a moveable piece to be water tight.

Edited by andreww

Also, as a pilots watch, if you find yourself submersed in water you're pretty much done for from the get go. Best to have the watch fail so that Search and Rescue can determine the time of death.

Perhaps, or maybe they are just up-selling their "Emergency" line!

Perhaps, or maybe they are just up-selling their "Emergency" line!

OK!!!!! so, any advise since we both jump on the water, but survived! I cleaned up. What do I do with Mr. Navi?

As long as all the moisture is gone and no further fogging...and it still keeps accurate time. I'd do nothing and consider myself lucky and probably leave said watch on the dresser or sink counter while I showered next time. :p

Seriously consider service if the fogging comes back as there still might be moisture in the watch which ultimately can damage it.

As long as all the moisture is gone and no further fogging...and it still keeps accurate time. I'd do nothing and consider myself lucky and probably leave said watch on the dresser or sink counter while I showered next time. :p

Seriously consider service if the fogging comes back as there still might be moisture in the watch which ultimately can damage it.

Thanks Steve!!! Believe you me, this Baby will not touch water again!!!!!!

I leave mine on the sink when I take a long hot shower, and have never had any fog inside the watch. All you can really do is to grease the gasket and ensure the caseback is firmly tight. If the watch does not fog up from being in the same room whilst showering, its likely as good as its going to be.