When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Seamaster Chrono Asian 7750 >>> Swiss

Well after tinkering around with some asian 21j's (some generously donated by fellow members), I decided I wanted to try upgrading a broken Seasmaster chrono I had to a Swiss 7750 like a few brave and skilled members have done lately...

I got the hands off without breaking or scratching anything (phew)...

I got the face off the old movement....

I even swapped the date wheels so it would be correct (lots of anxiety there)....

But when I just tried to mount the face on the swiss 7750, I can't get it to go the last mm or two down flat against the movement.

So here are my questions for those smarter than I,

Does mounting the face require a special technique?

Should I stop being a wimp and just push down harder?

Do I have to file the feet down?

Any other tips for the journey would be appreciated too.....Thanks, and pray for me!

Well after tinkering around with some asian 21j's (some generously donated by fellow members), I decided I wanted to try upgrading a broken Seasmaster chrono I had to a Swiss 7750 like a few brave and skilled members have done lately...

I got the hands off without breaking or scratching anything (phew)...

I got the face off the old movement....

I even swapped the date wheels so it would be correct (lots of anxiety there)....

But when I just tried to mount the face on the swiss 7750, I can't get it to go the last mm or two down flat against the movement.

So here are my questions for those smarter than I,

Does mounting the face require a special technique?

Well I am not sure if I am smarter than you are, but I will give it a go...

There is no special technique, the movemnets are identical as far as dial mounting is concerned.

Should I stop being a wimp and just push down harder?
Remember the #1 rule of watchmaking "Never EVER force anything..." so that is a no, at least until you eliminate other issues.

Do I have to file the feet down?

No

Any other tips for the journey would be appreciated too.....Thanks, and pray for me!

Given that you have removed and reinstalled the datewheel, the first thing I would do is to remove the dial, and check and double check that everything is in place and working correctly. Look at the movement from the side, eyeballing it across the dial seating area, note anyting at all sticking up that could be a problem? If it all looks good, then reinstall the dial, make sure the feet clamps are released, and when the dial hangs up for that last mm, look again around the edge from the side. Do you see anyting blocking the dial?

If there is nothing there, and you check and verify that the main post for the hands and the subdial ones are centered in their respective holes, then press harder with the movement well secured in your movement holder, using watchpaper to protect the dial, and it should snap into place. Sometimes the feet are not perfectly aligned, or the posts themselves are a bit larger or can have a nick from the clamps and this can prevent it seating...

Good luck and glad to see you doing this on your own...great stuff...

RG

Thank you once again The Zigmeister, I didn't know that there were clamps on the side. Once I got those it went in like butter.

The face is on, the hands are on (except for center seconds), and it is ticking away! Still a long way to go though...

I have to figure out what I want to do about the center seconds problem.

I am going to file the threads off of one of the stems I have and shorten it to make it a non-screw down crown since the rep crown is crummy and causes problems. By the way, I am guessing you unscrew the stem out of the crown counter-clockwise? I could not find instructions on how to seperate the two anywhere.

I noticed I scratched up the hour hand a bit too....oh well.

Still I am very excited it is going this well so far, thanks again to The Zigmeister for giving me multiple tips since I first considered doing this project. Cheers!