When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do I get the stem back into the movement

tonibari

I know I left my self open for some bad jokes here, but please help. Thought it would be a good idea to upgrade my SMP to a gen. dial. This is were things started going wrong. Since I have never worked on watches I thought it would be a good idea to buy a used dial of the bay first and practice. Well, total rookie mistake I bought a SMP 2541 dial to put into a 2531. So I now have a quartz dial (thanks to everyone who helped me figuring this out http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18934 ) .

So now I start putting the watch back together and for some reason I'm unable to get the stem back right into the movement (ETA2892-a2). Hopefully I didn't break the movement. I followed the instructions found here: http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6563 . This sounded a little touchy, I tried it anyways. Do I have to hold the stem release when I put the stem back in? This is how I have tried it so far. Also, I have move the watch a bit, and the movement started running again. Is that normal with the stem out?

On a good note, I made my first pearl, and that worked out pretty well for a rookie move.

216253-15511.jpg

216253-15512.jpg

216253-15513.jpg

One last thing, now that I have a SMP quartz dial and I have an spare SMP case here what kind of quartz movement would fit with this dial and where can I get one.

Thank you for any help,

Toni

Was the stem fully pulled out (time setting position) when u pushed the button the first time? It should have been.

Did u use a small screw driver or sharp point to push the pin? The stem should just snap back in if u pushed it correctly. U don't push to re-insert the stem.

If u over extended the button then u're shafted...u'll have to take the watch apart or send it to some1 to fix.

good luck.

bosk

As long as you removed the stem using a correct sized screwedriver that fit the slot where the release pin is located, you should have no problems getting it re-installed.

I go against the grain when it comes to removal, and always take the stem out in the winding position.

Inserting the stem on a 2892 does not require pressing the release lever as Bosk pointed out already.

Simply insert the stem into the movement, turning it ccw and gently inserting it and you should hear it click and lock into place, the movement running or not has no bearing on the installation.

If you pressed the release pin with anything smaller than the slot, and the stem does not lock in place, you probably knocked the keyless works out of place and will have to get a watchmaker to disassemble and fix it for you.

RG