When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PVD Group Buy

Physher007

So I was looking into have my Fiddy Pvd'd and I came across a company in California. I contacted the representative and this is what he said

"Mike,

Our minimum order is $500.00

I have avoided doing work for the general public because of liability!

If I deal with a manufacturer and I get 100's of each part......if we

lose a part it's not a big deal. However, someone like yourself sends

me

a "High End Watch" worth several thousand dollars I get concerned with

the possibility of a lost or damaged part.

Also we are not jewelers so we cannot dis assemble or rebuild the watch

assembly.....it has to arrive clean and dis assembled..........

We always strive to do quality work and not lose parts....but this is

an

engineering process carried out in a vacuum system 5 feet in diameter

and 8 foot tall!!

If you have any ideas or feed back from other PVD suppliers...let me

know??

Thanks,

Brian"

So here we are. I assured him we would do all the watch stuff and told him I would get back to him if there was enough interest. $500.00 isn't a ton so this may be a good chance to get something PVD'd.

If you are interested in this, please post. I think 25 is a good number, that would be $20.00 per watch

Admin's please feel free to move this if you find it necessary

-Physh

Man this sounds like something I would be interested in trying.

I am guessing that we would be required to disassemble the watch and all links, prior to sending it to you?

By-Tors photoshop job made that PO look pretty tempting he was showing today.

Lets go!

Nice find, great idea.

Guest avitt

I'd be in, for sure.

But I'm a little concerned about going with somebody who's not used to doing watches. Isn't there a lot to be concerned with when coating a watch? I mean, you want to PVD the ouside, but not the inside and the threads. The backs are usually left untreated. I think that the guys who PVD watches typically install cheap crowns, to protect the threads, and treat the real crowns separately. What about bead-blasting, which is usually done before the PVD process?

if this doesnt work out u can always send them to me unassembled and have them beadblasted and pvd coated with the correct coating for 130 usd , and he has done quite a few now and knows exactly what i expect

but if u can get them for 20 bucks and beadblasted and the correct coating i may want to send u some to as long as u guarantee the work , when i got with my guy we did about 6 test runs first to get what i was looking for , maybe u should get your guy to do u a test run before u just send him 500 bucks without knowing what they will look like (believe me it is worth seeing and testting out first than coming back later with all these [censored] off people) , just my two cents

joe

Guest avitt
I'm building a watch based on my pwn design so I am really interested in this. I have the case being constructed using emachineshop and have been considering some sort of PVD applied coating. What coating materials does your guy offer? Titanium nitrite by any chance?

Thanks for the tip on emachineshop. That is a very cool service. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Here is a link to the Brochure for the company. At this point you guys know as much as I do.

@RBJ - I really appreciate your input, I know that you have some experience with this.

I am looking to see if we can get together the $500.00 order together, and I will be in contact with Brian tomorrow. I'll have to get an idea of which coating we would prefer, and then we can determine the thickness.

... and I would LOVE a pvd movement

http://www.pvdcoatings.net/PvdBrochure.pdf

if this doesnt work out u can always send them to me unassembled and have them beadblasted and pvd coated with the correct coating for 130 usd , and he has done quite a few now and knows exactly what i expect

but if u can get them for 20 bucks and beadblasted and the correct coating i may want to send u some to as long as u guarantee the work , when i got with my guy we did about 6 test runs first to get what i was looking for , maybe u should get your guy to do u a test run before u just send him 500 bucks without knowing what they will look like (believe me it is worth seeing and testting out first than coming back later with all these [censored] off people) , just my two cents

joe

What coatings can your guy apply? I need the hardest PVD appliable coating possible