When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are Sharkskin Straps Naturally Water Proof?

DuDro

Sharkskin itself should be... (what a revalation :whistling: ) the rest probably depends on the way the strap is made. Sometimes the sharkskin is combined with leather on the inside sometimes the strap is sharkskin inside and outside. It also depends what is used to "pad" the strap, because water can enter through the holes of the stitching...

I personally have a couple of sharkskin straps and would never deliberately take them for a dive. For that purpose, I use rubber or SS bracelets/straps. They are of course less affected by occasional water (washing hands / car etc)

Sharkskin bands, of which I have a couple, are naturally waterproof but exposure to water will change the grain somewhat. The one's I have had were almost a suede type surface when brandnew. After exposure to sweat, water, and what not, the suede type texture flattened out and now it almost appears like a finished leather. And the colors when new can be a little wild but they will get more subdued once the grain flattens out. The only leather I've not seen affected very much by wear has been stingray.

/Tim

Sharkskin bands, of which I have a couple, are naturally waterproof but exposure to water will change the grain somewhat. The one's I have had were almost a suede type surface when brandnew. After exposure to sweat, water, and what not, the suede type texture flattened out and now it almost appears like a finished leather. And the colors when new can be a little wild but they will get more subdued once the grain flattens out. The only leather I've not seen affected very much by wear has been stingray.

Same experience here.

Suede shark is not waterproof -- just water-resistant, at best. :D

'Normal' (non-suede) shark is better.

Stingray is even better (but the leather on the back side is not).

I have the same experience with suede sharkskin... ahnd wonder if this actually is sharkskin. It has turned into a standard looking strap, thebumpiness of it as new is all but gone.

I had a Strapmasters blue sharkskin a while back that was definitely a different grain, small round nodules in an uneven pattern. Very nice and definitely waterproof. I think these, the MPs, and the Dirk shark skin straps are the best ones to get, although I'm not sure if I'd wear them diving. I would only wear steel or rubber for diving.

I wonder if they make frog's ass straps :lol: