When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Planet Ocean caseback

Award

I just recieved a brand new PO, but during shipment the lume has fallen off at three places - they are laying around inside the watch.

I dont tend to mess around with the movement - just take it out and glue the things back on (like I did on my sub)... But I cant figure out how to get the caseback off. I have a caseback opener (the suction type), can that be used?

I hope you guys can help me!

/Award

Doubtful you can get enough torque with a suction one to loosen it...

You should have a LG Openall caseback tool, it will open it, as well as ensure you can close it tight enough after the work.

If you look in my How-To's, the rollie uncasing post shows this, as does the PAM crown one, and a few more, cost for the tool is $50 or so...

RG

Doubtful you can get enough torque with a suction one to loosen it...

You should have a LG Openall caseback tool, it will open it, as well as ensure you can close it tight enough after the work.

If you look in my How-To's, the rollie uncasing post shows this, as does the PAM crown one, and a few more, cost for the tool is $50 or so...

RG

I will look into this, thanks for the help!

/Award

I dont tend to mess around with the movement - just take it out and glue the things back on (like I did on my sub)... But I cant figure out how to get the caseback off. I have a caseback opener (the suction type), can that be used?

I'm always doubtful of answering posts like this. My reasoning goes "If he doesn't know how to open his watch, what on earth can he do inside?" However, seeing as you have already removed one movement, it's fair to say you know what you're doing to some degree.

The tool in the middle is the one I use:

217798-15242.jpg

Just remember not to use Superglue. :D

Take some scotch tape and wrap it around your index & middle finger sticky side out.

Once you have the bracelet removed, put the crystal side of the watch in the palm of your other hand, and use the tape's adhesive to "grip" the caseback. Usually it will come off.

If not, use a HUGE pair of pliers.

Kidding!!!

Really, the tape method has worked for me a bunch of times...

I'm always doubtful of answering posts like this. My reasoning goes "If he doesn't know how to open his watch, what on earth can he do inside?" However, seeing as you have already removed one movement, it's fair to say you know what you're doing to some degree.

The tool in the middle is the one I use:

217804-15240.jpg

Just remember not to use Superglue. :D

Well, I wouldn't say that I'm some sort of watch genius ;)... I am not planning to mess around with any of the parts in the movement, I'll let The Zigmeister handle that if there's a problem in that section, but just remove the entire thing and glue it back together ;)

Why not superglue? :)

/Award

Why not superglue? :)

Open a tube of superglue and put a tiny drop next to a window. You'll see the fumes sticking to the glass. Imagine these fumes getting inside your sapphire or on the dial. Or worse, imagine the fumes getting into the movement.

On the ultimate PO, once the back is off, you will find 4 screws holding the movement in. I had 3 screws with one missing, others report none to 1 to 2. Just another one of the numerous quality control issues with this model of the watch. But here is where I stopped and did not remove the movement. covering each screw hole was an ultra-thin piece of metal bent over it. It appears you would have to bend each one of these up 90 degrees to be able to remove the movement. I bent one and it is springy material. I chickened out and tried to bend the metal back down flush and it was impossible - again - because it was too springy. Maybe these slide out and do not need to be bent (I have no ideaa why they are there) but I was not willing to go further and reassembled. The bent biece of springy material flipped the screw off 6 times and it would have gone by-by into the carpet had I not done this in a large baggy to protect from just this kind of problem. Maybe others have the instructions on how to do this for the Ultimate PO.

Good luck.

Usil

This same thing happened to my"Ultimate" PO. I didn't use any case opener as I didn't have any, so I used some duct tape rolled around my fist. With the bracelet off, I put the bottom of my fist on the back case and twisted. Came off pretty easy.

As Usil mentioned, some PO had missing screws, I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have any screws on there. :rolleyes:

I did use super glue as I didn't really have anything else around, but was very careful and seemed to work out. Did this three days ago, and everything seems to be holding up well.

Jesus christ... everyone seems to be using that ducktape trick, and everytime it slips right off! :)... I used like ten meters of ducktape tryng to get the back off my sub, with absolutely no luck... even with a sucktion type caseopener, it was a pain in the *** ! :)

Anyways, since I have absolutely no patience, and therefore can't wait for my new watchtools, I'll give it a new try. I'll keep you guys posted about the progress!

/Award