When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What lubricant to reseal a caseback?

Blackrain

So after opening the cases on my new found treasures, and adjusting the timing as well as I can, I find myself wondering if I should be relubing the gasket ring on the caseback with some type of lubricant. Two of the backs went back on like butter, but one definitely seems dry, or scratchy as it goes back on. I don't expect any of them to be waterproof, but I'd like to give them the best chance of surviving me washing my hands occasionally. Of all the choices, what should I be using, and it what quantity? Thanks!

Silicon grease, use as little as possible, you really just want to wet the o-ring and not much more. Its often worth replacing the o-ring at the same time. THeres not much you can do for the threads although a little grease to help ot close won't hurt.

So after opening the cases on my new found treasures, and adjusting the timing as well as I can, I find myself wondering if I should be relubing the gasket ring on the caseback with some type of lubricant. Two of the backs went back on like butter, but one definitely seems dry, or scratchy as it goes back on. I don't expect any of them to be waterproof, but I'd like to give them the best chance of surviving me washing my hands occasionally. Of all the choices, what should I be using, and it what quantity? Thanks!

Watch supply houses carry two products that I have used. One is called Silicon 7 and has the consistency of a heavy grease; the other is T-930 sealing grease and has the consistency of syrup. These are two of the products watchsmiths use. You can also get some silicon grease at auto supply houses and that will work in a pinch, but the silicon 7 and T-390 are better for watches.

• 10 months later...