When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Jewels

D@Loup

Hi 2u all :victory: ,

I'm still reading and learning............so wanna thank you for all the info that is present.

Also haven't bought any rep yet, but the money is almost burning out of the pocket. However, I'm patient also considering all the hassle about methods of payments where dealers won't use PP anymore (maybe one of the Dutch members can give me an advise on whom to buy from and which method of payment can be used the best for that transaction,...............Thanks!)

A question though (actually, this is my second :whistling::thumbsupsmileyanim:) that is still bouncing back in my mind.....................

On several watches I saw mentioning: 17 jewels, 21 jewels, 25 jewels, also in German '20 Steine'..........

I still haven't figured out, what this means exactly..................

I hope that one of you can help me out on this quest...........

Thanks a lot.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm still reading and learning............so wanna thank you for all the info that is present.

Also haven't bought any rep yet, but the money is almost burning out of the pocket. However, I'm patient also considering all the hassle about methods of payments where dealers won't use PP anymore (maybe one of the Dutch members can give me an advise on whom to buy from and which method of payment can be used the best for that transaction,...............Thanks!)

A question though (actually, this is my second :whistling::thumbsupsmileyanim:) that is still bouncing back in my mind.....................

On several watches I saw mentioning: 17 jewels, 21 jewels, 25 jewels, also in German '20 Steine'..........

Thanks a lot.

The process of adding useless or non-functioning jewels is often referred to as "up jeweling". The term is meant to be derogatory. Be leary of rep sellers who tout the number of jewels as a measure of quality. The 25 jewel eta movements available on many reps are excellent and should not be downgraded because another movement might have more jewels.

Thanks a lot.

I assume that if you're reading here, you know not to be sucked in by the claims of some unscrupulous scam sites that only a 27 jewel eta can mimic the smooth sweep of a genuine rolex. But just to make certain, that claim is nonsense. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as a 27 jewel eta movement. Moreover, the number of jewels doesn't determine the smoothness of the sweep, smoothness is more closely related to beats per hour (abbreviated bph by many sellers). Obviously the number of jewels can affect attainable bhp, but jewels do not directly determine sweep. No mechanical watch gives an absolutely smooth sweep. The only watches that give an absolutely smooth sweep have tuning fork movments such as the Bulova accutron. If you've ever seen the sweep of an accutron, there is no mistaking any mechanical watch for that absolutely smooth sweep. There are mechanical watches that come close, however.

To reietreate, jewels are not always a guide to quality. On my wrist today is a 1940s Hamilton with a 19J 982 medallion movement. The movement hasn't been manufactured in almost 60 years and "only" has 19J but is still regarded as one of the finest watch movements ever made. One reason it "only" has 19 jewels is that it is an manual (hand wound) movement as opposed to an automatic movement. Automatics require more jewels than manuals because of the winding mechanism. You will notice looking at the replicas with good manual movements such as some of the Unitas movements, that the manuals gernerally have fewer jewels as compared to the automatics.

The site that I've linked below has a list of the 79 most commonly used watch calibers (movements) and the companies that use them. Although it doesn't speak directly to the issue of jewels, it does give you a list of some high quality swiss watch movements. You will notice that many of the swiss movements used in replicas are also used in some of the finest gen watches made. In terms of buying a rep, if you buy a watch from one of the dealers recommended by this site and get a good swiss movement, you'll be getting a good watch. Unless you've owned some quality gen timepieces, a careful rep purchase will probably be the finest watch you own. Have fun, I'm new to this forum but can tell you that there is a wealth of knowledge and expretise residing here!

http://www.ozdoba.net/swisswatch/caliber.html