When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AR Coating Reference Thread

HauteHippie

first: excellent post and thank you very much for the information.

Please keep us updated on the next run, I would be in for 1.

second: a few people have posted that they have light A/R

many times our dealers list: "light A/R", yet this often means , no AR at all.

This may not always be the case, as I am just learning myself.

Look at some of the pictures of the finished A/R watches posted from the first run and then look back to how the dealers list them as light A/R.

Cheers,

M

first: excellent post and thank you very much for the information.

Please keep us updated on the next run, I would be in for 1.

second: a few people have posted that they have light A/R

many times our dealers list: "light A/R", yet this often means , no AR at all.

This may not always be the case, as I am just learning myself.

Look at some of the pictures of the finished A/R watches posted from the first run and then look back to how the dealers list them as light A/R.

Cheers,

M

Angle the watch so that an overhead light is reflecting directly off the crystal. Now, when you look at the reflection of the light in the crystal, it should have a slightly bluish tint to it (could be greenish or yellowish, but not likely). If you can't detect any color in the reflection, then there's probably no AR.

Well if this doesn't work, I don't want to know. Lacquer thinner is the most incredible stripper, cleaner, universal solvent I have ever used. I've cleaned brushes that have dried stiff with polyurethane to like new condition. In my repair tool kit, there's a Vicegrip, a roll of duct tape, and lacquer thinner!

Success!!! I've successfully stripped the replica AR coat off my Breitling Seawolf Avenger Ti crystal. Details in the original post under "AR Stripping". Before breaking out the steel wool, I tried with a cotton cloth and that was going nowhere. Steel wool is a must.

LOL i have a geniune rolex gmt master II and i tilted in light and moved all around....damn couldnt c any colour (yellow, purple, or blue) and im 100% this is geniune cuz i got it from AD....LOL....may be im really dumb regarding watches and have no clue wat im suppose to c lol

LOL i have a geniune rolex gmt master II and i tilted in light and moved all around....damn couldnt c any colour (yellow, purple, or blue) and im 100% this is geniune cuz i got it from AD....LOL....may be im really dumb regarding watches and have no clue wat im suppose to c lol

Rolex dont have any AR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Regarding removal of AR coating-- I just received a 45mm UPO with AR coating that looked to only cover about 60% of the crystal.

I may send it in for a re-do at some point in the future, but right now I just want the AR stripped.

Having read here to not clean your AR coated crystal with acetone, I tried using acetone to dissolve the coating.

It went well. I work in a laboratory, so I have access to acetone, Kimwipes, and a fume hood. Those make this a bit easier.

I soaked a Kimwipe, and buffed the crystal for about 10-15 minutes. All the AR is gone now.

Acetone is not abrasive, like jeweler's rouge, so I could do it with the crystal installed, yet not worry about scratching the bezel.

It does not seem to have affected the black of the bezel.

I recommend this method.

Regarding removal of AR coating-- I just received a 45mm UPO with AR coating that looked to only cover about 60% of the crystal.

I may send it in for a re-do at some point in the future, but right now I just want the AR stripped.

Having read here to not clean your AR coated crystal with acetone, I tried using acetone to dissolve the coating.

It went well. I work in a laboratory, so I have access to acetone, Kimwipes, and a fume hood. Those make this a bit easier.

I soaked a Kimwipe, and buffed the crystal for about 10-15 minutes. All the AR is gone now.

Acetone is not abrasive, like jeweler's rouge, so I could do it with the crystal installed, yet not worry about scratching the bezel.

It does not seem to have affected the black of the bezel.

I recommend this method.

you sure you want to do it with the crystal intact ??.. are you sure the acetone is not seeping elsewhere ? .. there is adhesive on some pieces holding the bezel insert in place.. if the acetone disolves the adhesive it could freeze the bezel or do damage elsewhere.. (talking from experience)

you sure you want to do it with the crystal intact ??.. are you sure the acetone is not seeping elsewhere ? .. there is adhesive on some pieces holding the bezel insert in place.. if the acetone disolves the adhesive it could freeze the bezel or do damage elsewhere.. (talking from experience)

You raise good points that I hadn't considered. All I can say is that I got the kimwipe a little damp with acetone, and buffed the AR off.

I didn't submerge the watch and kept the acetone mostly on the crystal.

The watch seems no worse, but is now AR-free.

You raise good points that I hadn't considered. All I can say is that I got the kimwipe a little damp with acetone, and buffed the AR off.

I didn't submerge the watch and kept the acetone mostly on the crystal.

The watch seems no worse, but is now AR-free.

if the advice is not to "clean" your lens with acetone.. then that would probably mean it could strip the coat .. which if you "want to do" then there is no harm.. but to be on the safe side I'll wait for chief to advise on this one.. until then I think I'll stick with the metal polish and dremmel for my removal..

thanks

R

• 4 months later...