When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A beginners guide to PO repair

Award

This is a do-it.yourself guide for beginners by a beginner. This is not a professional review (you will discover why later on), but I hope it can help others, like myself, who are stuck and have tried everything possible that they have read on the forum. So here goes!

After recieving my PO from Paul it had a slight problem. The lume had fallen off a few places inside, so I figured. I'll just crack that thing open with my suction type caseopener, gently remove the entire movement, and glue the damn things back on! Piece of cake... it will probably just take a few minutes! It didn't...

The suction type opener didn't do the trick. Neither did the tape on hand thing. So I figured... while thinking of a new and better idea to open it (I actually tried to make my own caseopener of two screwdrivers and two pencils... doesn't work), I'll try to resize my bracelet.

I had read some place that a size 2 screwdriver set on the table, and the pushing firmly down could help removing the pins. That didn't work... they were tight as... well, you get the picture.

So I had to order some more tools, which bugged me quite a lot since I really wanted to wear the watch. Anyway - I ordered a pocket caseopener for watches with the small squares on the back, and a link pin removal tool.

It came today, so I unpacked my caseopener and tried to open the case. I had read tons of places that the thing would come right off with the correct tool. It didn't. It was stuck. I tried and tried, and finally I gave up.

So back to the bracelet! My new tool worked perfectly! The pins came right out! Well sort of. They came out half way, and I took my plier to pull it the rest of the way. It was easy - or so the other reviews said. It didn't. It was stuck (getting the pattern yet?), and didn't move anywhere. What to do? What to do?

220761-14542.jpg

I figured there had to be some way to get it that last half way out of there. There were a few extra bits with the tool to replace the standard one if the bracelets had thicker or thinner pins. There were one the same size as the standard one, so I took that one and cut the pin off - leaving a cylinder shaped bit.

220761-14543.jpg

I put that back in the pin removal tool, and then a new problem came up. How do we get the pin out from reverse. I needed something to puch the pin from the back. So I took my screwdriver set and found one fitting in the hole where the other half of the pin had been(just removed the actual top from the handle). I stuck it in there, and then put the whole thing back in the pin removal tool and used the screwdriver to push the pin out the rest of the way.

220761-14544.jpg

220761-14545.jpg

And when pushing the pin back in, just do the same thing all over again. Use the bit for the tool with no top to push the pin inside the link - but backwards!

With the bracelet resized one problem was down and one to go. So I gave the case another go. It was stuck. It was still stuck like glued on. But I used all of my force (as little as it might be), and twisted the thing off. Turn it counter clockwise!

220761-14546.jpg

So I guess my point is this: Don't give up if you have been stuck like me. Get the right tools, and when you figure out that they don't quite do the trick either - use alternative methods to make them work! :)...

I cannot guarantee that this is the perfect way to do it - it's not. And if everything goes wrong. Use some of the excellent people here on the board to fix it. Because I'm in no way a professional, and it was most likely dumb luck that this ever worked out!

I hope this has helped a little bit!

220761-14547.jpg

And there it is... all perfect (or as perfect as it can be when it's a rep) :)

/Award

Hehe... you should think that with all the different reviews, that pretty much all say the same: have the right tools and it's easy - then it should be easy?

But I guess all watches are different, so hopefully someone with a stubborn watch like mine will find this helpful ;)

/Award

Hehe... you should think that with all the different reviews, that pretty much all say the same: have the right tools and it's easy - then it should be easy?

You must have missed my Ultimate Planet Ocean bracelet post then. I recommended getting a watchsmith to size your strap as it's the toughest I've seen. :D

You must have missed my Ultimate Planet Ocean bracelet post then. I recommended getting a watchsmith to size your strap as it's the toughest I've seen. :D

I might have, although I thought I had been around them all! :)... well... sending the bracelet til a watchsmith might not be a bad idea either - because if you aren't stubborn enough, then it's practically impossible :)

/Award