When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

King's advertised 14kt Bracelets with Sub...false advertising

Whatch-A-Doin?

Got a TT sub with black dial from King about 2 weeks ago. it supposed to be solid 14k midlinks and crown and plated gold bezel. Without anything to test the gold i am very much took her words for it. the watch came with her newly adveritized new casing. The pearl on the bezel was off centered and waiting for King to send me the replacement one.

We can put this issue to rest if someone can do the test and i don't mind sent him or her a link as the test case

I am buying solid 14k for durability and for keep. I regreted that i sold my other TT gmt master II purchased from Richard Tracy a while back. So i intended to keep this one for good if it is true solid 14k. Otherwise i'll have to deal with King whether she intended or not. Because it is is not 14k then her price is more expensive than the other dealers and i think most of us buying from her because of her attractive pricing.

I agree, King deserves the benefit and our respect, she's earned it.

Not to mention that would be very easy for some manufacturer to run low on gold,..and simply make due..

and not much a drop shipping dealer could do, or even PT, unless he or anyone is willing to

test each & every delivery.. losing a link in the process.

I would bet that many of us who think their 14k or even higher is stat, would be surprised..

and most will never know, because like I said before, 10k is much better than plated.

This is a rep,.. I don't care about the composition, as long at it's not mis-represented plate.

The point is, who here is buying 14k reps in hopes of one day melting it down for cash return?

I don't know about you, but the the reason I go for gold in watch is for the durability.

i agree, i have talked to ruby and josh about this and they have to beleive their suppliers word. they cannot test every single watch they sell. nobody does that.

this same thing could happen to pt. yes he tested a couple of watches and they were gold, but he doesn't test every single tt sub he sends out. he is beleiving his supplier is sending the one he is supposed to be. you have to remember, the people making these reps are making a counterfit product and are probably not the most honest people on the block. i am sure they will try to get away with anything they can for a dollar. on the other hand our dealers here have no reason to lie to us. i can't beleive any of them would purposely lie just to sell 1 watch and then ruin their reputation for 1 sale. that don't even make since.

i agree, i have talked to ruby and josh about this and they have to beleive their suppliers word. they cannot test every single watch they sell. nobody does that.

this same thing could happen to pt. yes he tested a couple of watches and they were gold, but he doesn't test every single tt sub he sends out. he is beleiving his supplier is sending the one he is supposed to be. you have to remember, the people making these reps are making a counterfit product and are probably not the most honest people on the block. i am sure they will try to get away with anything they can for a dollar. on the other hand our dealers here have no reason to lie to us. i can't beleive any of them would purposely lie just to sell 1 watch and then ruin their reputation for 1 sale. that don't even make since.

I am sorry, but I do not agree. If you buy your watch from the dealer, your recourse is to the dealer and not his/her supplier. That means, is the dealers' responsiblity to ensure you get what you pay for. They should take the same care in choosing their suppliers that we take in choosing our dealers.

It is just like having a general contractor do work on your home. If the GC sub-contracts the job, and it goes bad, your recourse is not to the sub-contractor it is to the GC. He is responsible, that is what you pay him for. Similar with the dealer. He is an intermediary who take a profit to facilate the sale between the supplier and you. It is his responsiblity to ensure the quality of the goods or make restitution, even if ithe problem is the result of the supplier not living up to the promise because he is the suppliers client.

I know this is an oversimplification, but the bottom line to me is, before you agree to sell something to someone, you should make sure you are delivering on the promise. When you say something is 14K your putting YOUR word on the line, not someone elses. If you are not cofident it is 14K do not advertise it as such.

It is just like having a general contractor do work on your home. If the GC sub-contracts the job, and it goes bad, your recourse is not to the sub-contractor it is to the GC. He is responsible, that is what you pay him for. Similar with the dealer. He is an intermediary who take a profit to facilate the sale between the supplier and you. It is his responsiblity to ensure the quality of the goods or make restitution, even if ithe problem is the result of the supplier not living up to the promise because he is the suppliers client.

I know this is an oversimplification, but the bottom line to me is, before you agree to sell something to someone, you should make sure you are delivering on the promise. When you say something is 14K your putting YOUR word on the line, not someone elses. If you are not cofident it is 14K do not advertise it as such.

Totally agree with you eddhead.

So Would someone care to do some gold testing?

Personally I think this whole gold testing idea, on replicas, is a waste of time..

and a form of cheapness, that does more harm than good in the long run with

our dealers.

I would bet that the gold percentage may be lower on some watches, but who cares ?

The goal of purchasing a rep with gold is for me, to make sure that an accidental scrape doesn't

uncover the metal under it, like with plating, and for that, 10, 11, 12, or 13% would do just fine....

It these were a genuine watches we were talking about, that could be passed on as heirlooms,

melted down, or sold later at prices that reflect their gold content, then yes, it would be a rip off,

but in Replicas with the prices just a pinch above the normal eta rep ??? Please,..

Let's stop looking for bugs under, the house.. ^_^

I am sorry, but I do not agree. If you buy your watch from the dealer, your recourse is to the dealer and not his/her supplier. That means, is the dealers' responsiblity to ensure you get what you pay for. They should take the same care in choosing their suppliers that we take in choosing our dealers.

apperantly i didn't make my self clear. i didn't say the dealer shouldn't make it good if the product turns out not to be what ever it was advertised as. i said they aren't going to test every watch they send out to see if the supplier sent the right one. that would be the only way for them to know 100% that every tt watch they send was really gold.

I've bought two TT subs in the past from King, one for myself and one for a friend. The bands were too large for both of us, and I used the opportunity to cut the extra mid-link down the middle to see if they truly were solid gold. As far as I could tell, they both were solid gold straight through.