When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stupid question on Ultimate PO

jomama

I am stupid as I can't figure out how to deploy divers extension. i don't dive and don't need it but love to [censored] with me toy!

Best advice is if it is now shut, keep it that way. The Omega reps do not have the sturdiest design on the divers clasp. There are two or three different versions, but a small pinch in the metal is all that is keeping it shut. If you yank on the clasp hard enough it will come open but it will loosen in the process and you might never get it to stay securely shut again. Just be pleased that it is there and leave it at that.

/Tim

Best advice is if it is now shut, keep it that way. The Omega reps do not have the sturdiest design on the divers clasp. There are two or three different versions, but a small pinch in the metal is all that is keeping it shut. If you yank on the clasp hard enough it will come open but it will loosen in the process and you might never get it to stay securely shut again. Just be pleased that it is there and leave it at that.

/Tim

I fully agree. I have 3 Omega with that extension and me too I sincerely wondered what the hell I was suppose to do.

Rather leave it like it is.

Cheers

Stephane

The trick with the diver's extension is not deplying it (that is easy) but in properly closing it.

To deploy the extension, all you need to to is press your thumb over the end of the clasp, and the extension should drop down.

When you come to close it up, DO NOT try to fold it closed as you would a normal clasp. You must fold the section closest to the clasp completely flat back against the clasp, and then move the second section back around to lock over the end of the clasp. If you examine the extension, you will see that the second section has a tiny lip on the end (you might need to fold the two sections at 90 degrees to each other to see this) When the first section is properly in place, it is this lip, which goes under a piece in the clasp to hold the extension flat when it is locked in place. If you do not have that lip under the retainer, and simply fold it shut, when you fold the rest of the clasp shut, it will be harder to close, and have a tendency to spring open. Sorry for such a long-winded explanation, it really is a very simple thing. Have a very good look at the extension while it is still closed, deploy it very slowly, and you will see what I mean :) Once you figure how it is actually supposed to close, it is no trouble at all to operate. Way easier than the diver's extension on a Submariner (Ripped my thumb to shreds once trying to deploy that in the 'factory approved manner' :black_eye: Just another reason why I prefer Omega over Rolex)

The trick with the diver's extension is not deplying it (that is easy) but in properly closing it.

To deploy the extension, all you need to to is press your thumb over the end of the clasp, and the extension should drop down.

When you come to close it up, DO NOT try to fold it closed as you would a normal clasp. You must fold the section closest to the clasp completely flat back against the clasp, and then move the second section back around to lock over the end of the clasp. If you examine the extension, you will see that the second section has a tiny lip on the end (you might need to fold the two sections at 90 degrees to each other to see this) When the first section is properly in place, it is this lip, which goes under a piece in the clasp to hold the extension flat when it is locked in place. If you do not have that lip under the retainer, and simply fold it shut, when you fold the rest of the clasp shut, it will be harder to close, and have a tendency to spring open. Sorry for such a long-winded explanation, it really is a very simple thing. Have a very good look at the extension while it is still closed, deploy it very slowly, and you will see what I mean :) Once you figure how it is actually supposed to close, it is no trouble at all to operate. Way easier than the diver's extension on a Submariner (Ripped my thumb to shreds once trying to deploy that in the 'factory approved manner' :black_eye: Just another reason why I prefer Omega over Rolex)

I agree that many people do not get the lip properly put away and that is a problem. That one is easily solved by looking it over as you try to shut it. You'll see how it needs to be shut when you see that lip ontop of the bar it usually rests under. The problem is further down the clasp with the mechanism used to snap the clasp shut and keep it closed. This works on most of the divers clasp through a pinch in the metal--or in some other versions a long nub molded in the metal.

The issues is that first some of these nubs or pinches are not formed very well out of the box. The second issue is that as you use the clasp, this nub will wear down and get to the point where there isn't enough of it left to securely hold against the slot in the opposite tine of the clasp. Then you are forced to get a punch and hammer out to increast the size of the nub; or sometimes it works if you take the entire clasp apart and use a screwdriver to slightly expand the part of the clasp closest to the bracelet. And that would be a temporary solution at best.

A good view of the mentioned "lip" is in this picture:

223470-13751.jpg

A good view of the nub and slot is on the third picture of this series:

223470-13752.jpg

This is a genuine bracelet so you can see that the original design is not much better. Instead of nubs, Omega should have put small spring loaded ball bearings in this area to ensure a durable clasp is maintained after repeated use.

So easiest solution is just not to use the damn thing. Problem averted.

/Tim

I agree that many people do not get the lip properly put away and that is a problem. That one is easily solved by looking it over as you try to shut it. You'll see how it needs to be shut when you see that lip ontop of the bar it usually rests under. The problem is further down the clasp with the mechanism used to snap the clasp shut and keep it closed. This works on most of the divers clasp through a pinch in the metal--or in some other versions a long nub molded in the metal.

The issues is that first some of these nubs or pinches are not formed very well out of the box. The second issue is that as you use the clasp, this nub will wear down and get to the point where there isn't enough of it left to securely hold against the slot in the opposite tine of the clasp. Then you are forced to get a punch and hammer out to increast the size of the nub; or sometimes it works if you take the entire clasp apart and use a screwdriver to slightly expand the part of the clasp closest to the bracelet. And that would be a temporary solution at best.

A good view of the mentioned "lip" is in this picture:

223481-13746.jpg

A good view of the nub and slot is on the third picture of this series:

223481-13747.jpg

This is a genuine bracelet so you can see that the original design is not much better. Instead of nubs, Omega should have put small spring loaded ball bearings in this area to ensure a durable clasp is maintained after repeated use.

So easiest solution is just not to use the damn thing. Problem averted.

/Tim

I knew I'd seen those pics somewhere before, but couldn't remember where... Thanks for posting them, hopefully it will clarify the operation of the clasps :)

Wish I could leave mine closed, cant get watch over my hand unless I undo diver extension, it does work loose, but you can get it tight again with a little tweak with a screwdriver. I have the same problem with Gen Seamaster and the replica Seamaster chrono.

Edited by sagemo

Wish I could leave mine closed, cant get watch over my hand unless I undo diver extension, it does work loose, but you can get it tight again with a little tweak with a screwdriver. I have the same problem with Gen Seamaster and the replica Seamaster chrono.

Josh or Andrew will sell you an entire bracelet for $20 or $25. Buy one and scavenge extra links from it. It will also give you an extra clasp for when your's gets too beat up. Make sure you tell them if you need pins or screws.

/Tim

Skinny wrists and wide hands?

Skinny wrists and wide hands?

Sounds more like gorilla hands and petite wrists. Definately the next step beyond "man hands".

Of course watch the poor gentleman have a physical condition and me ending up sounding like I am making fun....

Have you considered a NATO strap? Anyone here got a picture of their Seamaster on a NATO? I know there is a Bond Goldfinger version of the Submariner with a NATO strap on it.

/Tim

Edited by Tim

Sounds more like gorilla hands and petite wrists. Definately the next step beyond "man hands".

Of course watch the poor gentleman have a physical condition and me ending up sounding like I am making fun....

Have you considered a NATO strap? Anyone here got a picture of their Seamaster on a NATO? I know there is a Bond Goldfinger version of the Submariner with a NATO strap on it.

/Tim

Big wrists, even bigger hands, very active wheelchair user, great for upper and lower arm development, also the ultimate test of any watch movement.

Big wrists, even bigger hands, very active wheelchair user, great for upper and lower arm development, also the ultimate test of any watch movement.

So I take it that keeping the watch wound is not a problem. Can I use some other spots up your arms? Seems the area between the wrist and elsow should be fair game. I'll pay you what a Bergon winder would cost me!!

:whistling:

/Tim