When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 104 from canal street?!:

jacobsen1

I guess it's just my mind set, I've been around here too long and have gotten too fussy, I just couldn't buy an inferior copy of anything when there exists a better one.

on canal street for $40 though?

I went there wanting a PAM (nothing in particular picked out ahead of time, but nothing too busy) and I wanted to spend $40 or less....

Not a whole lot of better options there for $40. (or anywhere else for $40 delivered)

Ben

My first rep was a horribly bad quartz Cartier Santos, picked up for $50 on iOffer (which, by the way, is certainly the Internet's closest approximation of Canal Street!)

But it did give me a taste of the replica world and created a habit which has led to a full watch box not more than a year or so on. I didn't wear the Cartier for long once I started getting some truly good watches, and I will never show it in public again - but as the one that started me off, I'll always be fond of it!

Remember, Jacobsen, most of the world has no idea what a Panerai looks like; and the majority those who do won't know much about them beyond the crown guard and size.

Just enjoy it! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by garethsm

I guess it's just my mind set, I've been around here too long and have gotten too fussy, I just couldn't buy an inferior copy of anything when there exists a better one.

You could take that statement one step further and ask yourself why you would buy an inferior replica when there are perfectly fine gens out there....to each his/her own.

-O

Wow, so you guys wouldn't even spend $40 on it? I know it's not a good rep, but for $40 I'm happy...

:lol:

For the experience you described, I certainly would. Most of the people I associate with wouldn't even know what a Panerai was (I hadn't even heard of them till I started browsing the forums) so they'd certainly never spot the tells. I am also something of a new 'convert' to Panerai, although I think my favorites are still Omega (won't know for sure till I actually get my hands on a Panerai) I'm planning on getting my father in law one for his birthday, so I'll be giving that a very careful examination when I get it, possibly even draping it over the wrist to see how it looks before wrapping it up ;) That will decide if I actually then buy one for myself or not...

That's the important thing.

Sure it's crappy, but it'll give you a feel for Panerais. You'll get better ones and stop wearing this one, but it'll perversely always be appreciated, I bet. :D

I agree completely, as that is how I feel about my 2531.80 project watch. I know it's inaccurate, but there's something perversely loveable about it :D