When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New SMP Dial from dealers is here!

jomama

The irony is we have been waiting for a new face on the SMPs to match the new ones produced by Omega (red Seamaster on dial see link).

http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=2...&no_cache=1

Well we got the new dial but it is a step backward. I have been informed that the new dial is same as old but now does not have the small marker at 3 o'clock. Why would they go to the trouble of producing or procuring new dials and go backwards!!

Frustrated because I have an SMP in transit from Josh that I thought would be the same as that on his website. When I inquired directly to Josh as to whether or not the marker was gone, it is appearant Josh drop ships as he did not know. I went ahead and asked Andrew (knowing they have basically same watches and this is what he told me : "Currently the Maker has changed the Dial to one with no 3 o'clock marker already. All dealers will carry the same ones. =)

Josh told me when package arrives I can peek while mailman there and if no marker reject package. What a hassel and when and how does he refund money etc?

Anyhow, I know the midsize SMP has no marker but cannot figure out why they would go backwards! Does anyone have any insights?

Anyhow, I know the midsize SMP has no marker but cannot figure out why they would go backwards! Does anyone have any insights?

Because they're Chinese? Don't they even read backwards? :lol:

Seriously... this is business as usual with reps. One step ahead, two steps backwards. Nothing surprising here.

BY-tor:

I am so bummed as I took a boatload of time researching the watch and dealers and whether SMP or SMP chrono. I ended on SMP as I wanted a watch I could wear with suit (not too thick) and easier to waterpoof (no chrono [censored]s) and was reasonably good rep (easy fixes on pearl alignment etc)

But this oversight makes the watch unwearable to me. I am [censored]. I guess I can refuse delivery but god knows when I will get money back. I might have to get the chrono after-all.

I truly sympathise, nothing is more disappointing than ordering something and it not being what you wanted it to be. Even if you can't intercept the postman, I'm sure Josh will allow you to simply return the watch unworn (because obviously you wouldn't wear it without the 3 marker) so all you have to do, is insist on a refund. As I said yesterday, the option does exist of this watch:

http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=2493536

which may or may not have a flat dial, but, with the refunded money, you could order that watch and source a gen dial from ofrei.com if the dial on the watch is flat. It definitely has the 3 marker on the dial, so there should be no issue of the date window lining up. You never know, for all we can tell, the dial might be perfect, but the pictures make it impossible to tell. As I said before, if I had the spare money, I would have already ordered one of the watches as the price is good enough to make it worth the risk, but other commitments mean I can't do that for a while, and that bugs me.

On the subject of the New SMP and the hopes for one with the red lettering, from the pictures posted of it, I do not like how the letters in Omega are joined. It makes the watch (despite being genuined) look fake. (and I do mean fake, rather than replica, as replicas are at least of decent logo printing) so even if it was manufactured, I would not buy it, as even if the details were accurately replicated, it would 'look' like a 'fake', and probably get called out in the same way that people assume that anything with Rolex on the dial is fake, regardless of if it is genuine or not

Yea I might end up with the SMP GMT. same thickness. Only issue is it has the display caseback but wrong color movement. I might be able to live with that.

Boy: You are right about the Rolex stigma. Everyone in Scottsdale is walking around with a "Rolex" of which I am assuming 90% are fake! That's why I have only the LV rep (3 of them which I am trying to get perfected.

I have kindof become an Omega guy. People recognize the brand as quality (james bond) and don't even assume they make fake ones.

Although I am excited about a Chpard gran Turismo I have on order from Neil.....

Yea I might end up with the SMP GMT. same thickness. Only issue is it has the display caseback but wrong color movement. I might be able to live with that.

Boy: You are right about the Rolex stigma. Everyone in Scottsdale is walking around with a "Rolex" of which I am assuming 90% are fake! That's why I have only the LV rep (3 of them which I am trying to get perfected.

I have kindof become an Omega guy. People recognize the brand as quality (james bond) and don't even assume they make fake ones.

Although I am excited about a Chpard gran Turismo I have on order from Neil.....

I read on another forum that someone's boss bought a gen Rolex, but got rid of it because his buddies kept asking if it was fake or not. The guy collected vintage Ferraris, so why they thought he'd wear a fake Rolex I don't know :D That said, as I've said a few times, I wouldn't buy any gen even if I had more money than Bill Gates, simply because I don't think they are worth the price. The most I'd pay for a watch is about $200, and that would be really pushing things. I'm such a scrooge :D

My preference has switched to Omega as well. I agree with your point people don't even assume they might be fake, but I like them better because of the better quality clasps, clearer dials and larger hands, which make them easier to read at a glance:)

I just got an SMP from Andrew with swiss eat. It does have the 3 hour mark. I am having a problem getting the second hand started which is another story. I bought it at the end of last week and it was shipped monday. I wonder why mine has the mark? I hope it really is a swiss eta, thats what I paid for.

I truly sympathise, nothing is more disappointing than ordering something and it not being what you wanted it to be. Even if you can't intercept the postman, I'm sure Josh will allow you to simply return the watch unworn (because obviously you wouldn't wear it without the 3 marker) so all you have to do, is insist on a refund. As I said yesterday, the option does exist of this watch:

http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=2493536

which may or may not have a flat dial, but, with the refunded money, you could order that watch and source a gen dial from ofrei.com if the dial on the watch is flat. It definitely has the 3 marker on the dial, so there should be no issue of the date window lining up. You never know, for all we can tell, the dial might be perfect, but the pictures make it impossible to tell. As I said before, if I had the spare money, I would have already ordered one of the watches as the price is good enough to make it worth the risk, but other commitments mean I can't do that for a while, and that bugs me.

On the subject of the New SMP and the hopes for one with the red lettering, from the pictures posted of it, I do not like how the letters in Omega are joined. It makes the watch (despite being genuined) look fake. (and I do mean fake, rather than replica, as replicas are at least of decent logo printing) so even if it was manufactured, I would not buy it, as even if the details were accurately replicated, it would 'look' like a 'fake', and probably get called out in the same way that people assume that anything with Rolex on the dial is fake, regardless of if it is genuine or not

I've just received an SMP from Jay & Angel - their model still has the 3 O'Clock marker (and it's cheaper than Josh/Andrew's !!). :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ok so is this the enw dial from the link at the very top (with the red letters) or just the old dial without the 3 o clock marker? I'm confused

The old dial without the 3 marker. That is the 'new' dial. Personally, I'd rather wear an SMP with a missing 3 marker than wear a totally accurate one with the red lettering, because the way the letters in 'Omega' are all joined together makes the watch 'look fake'. I much prefer how the logo and lettering were printed on the original SMP dials, like how they are on Rolex Submariners. My Planet Ocean has both logo and lettering printed, and I think it looks more uniform than having both a metal add on and printed lettering, but that's just my opinion...