When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this Tag Carrera Tachymetre Chrono DOA?

Hi everyone.

I just received a Tag Carrera Tachymetre Chrono from Andrew (see pic below, in case I'm describing it wrong) and I'm wondering if it's DOA or if I'm doing something wrong.

When it first came out of the box, it wasn't running. I gave it a couple shakes and checked the rotor to see if it was moving. It was moving fine in one direction, but was sticky in the other (ie it WOULD move in the other direction, but you could see that there was some resistance.)

So I put it down and waited to see if the minute hand would move while I was checking out the other watch (an Omega that seems to be running fine.) A few minutes later I checked the minute hand on the Tag and it hadn't moved (and still hasn't now, about 15 minutes later.)

So I went to Andrew's FAQ to see what I should do. It says to wind the crown clockwise about 20 times. When I try to move the crown clockwise, it's very resistant, so I didn't force it. When I rotate counter-clockwise, it turns and I can hear a small 'click' after each 1/8th turn.

I thought that maybe I had to pull out the crown to wind it, so I pulled it out to the first click. When I started to turn the crown I noticed that the date started to turn (maybe 0.1mm) so I stopped immediately, as I know you're not supposed to adjust the date when the watch hour hand is between 10 and 3 (currently at 12.)

I haven't fiddled at all with the chrono buttons yet as I wanted to break in the timekeeping movement before I started the chronos up.

Am I missing something here? Any ideas about how to get this watch going? I'd like to try all options before I bother to contact Andrew about it. I suspect I'm missing something as, from what I've tried so far, there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the time (ie hour and minute hands.)

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me. Sorry for the long post.

Wade

(The watch is as pictured below.)

226695-13057.gif

I got the same watch from Andrew. I had a problem with the chrono reset button, but it seems to work OK now. It is hard to wind, but I did wind mine about 40 revolutions and it keeps running (on the winder) and keeps good time so far. The chrono works, but occasional burps. Typical 7750 I guess. I don't want to give bum advice, but I'd try and wind it, even if it is hard to do. Unless you can tell it will obviously break something. Good luck.

I really like the watch, but it hasn't been on of my best 7750's

Deen

Glad it's working. I found that my watch will not stay wound sometimes, even on the winder set the same as my other 7750's, so I just wind it occasionally.

Trouble, but I do really like the looks of the watch and The Zigmeister says it doesn't hurt to wind the 7750. I have the black rubber strap on mine.

Enjoy the watch Steve.

Deen