When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW 6263 in Leather

Sherrington

For many years I would always get sh*t from vintage Rolex collectors about wearin' straps with my Rollies. I am glad to see that I am not alone here!

Nice Crocs, gentlemen!

I have also been known to don the "O.G. style" Tropic straps, too. Rolex ADs used to offer Submariners with what was known as the "Tropic Option". Yes, yes, this has been verified by Dowling after much debate a few years ago regarding this issue. I am glad that I stocked up on NOS Tropics when you could find 'em for a buck a pop. Those days are long gone. So is even finding a mint unused Tropic strap.

I wear my Daytona sometimes on a 19mm Tropic - looks and feels great.

Here's a 'lil Tropic action... Woooweee!

21041-2280.jpg

???

I wonder what the whole "Tropic" thing is about and why they chose that name to designate it?

Tropic crystals... tropic straps... tropic of capricorn... where does it end???

Those are all questions I have wondered about as well. Why the heck are the crystals called "Tropic"? Maybe because they are domed, sorta roundish, like a globe - hence Tropic lines arond the Earth??? Who knows :crazy:

And certainly, the Tropic straps were a trademark brand, but in the 80s, some company in Hong Kong bought the original Tropic molds but excluded the Tropic stamp. Quality is not as good as the original Tropic straps for sure. I can tell you that they get sweaty in the tropics as all rubber straps seem to. I guess they are really in their element whilst submerged under water! Arrf!