When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 7750

azerbyjam

I am considering joining the group buy for the Ferrari chrono supplied by Sash http://www.rwg.cc/members/Sash-Panerai-Fer...008-t23414.html

and have a question about the movement in this watch. I thought the Asian 7750 had a native sub dial layout at 6, 9 and 12 with running seconds at 9 while this watch has sub dials at 3 and 9, running seconds are at 9 and I think the "3" dial is a minute counter. Does this mean that this movement has additional gearing installed to drive the sub dial at 3 or are there variations of this movement that have this layout as standard. I have made a point of avoiding this movement with seconds at "6", too many horror stories for me and I don't want to buy into the same kind of problem if that is the case with this one. I have searched the forum for this info but came up blank.

Thanks for any help or pointers

It has 3 extra gears to move the 12 o'clock subdial, down to the 3 o'clock position.

However, it has been said by our resident watch maker The Zigmeister, that these gears don't place and significant extra stress on the movement. It's the watches where the seconds hand is moved down to 6 where you have to use caution.

I'm also in the group buy, and this will be my first Asian 7750 based watch in 2 1/2 years of collecting.

Edited by bigpops

It has 3 extra gears to move the 12 o'clock subdial, down to the 3 o'clock position.

However, it has been said by our resident watch maker The Zigmeister, that these gears don't place and significant extra stress on the movement. It's the watches where the seconds hand is moved down to 6 where you have to use caution.

I'm also in the group buy, and this will be my first Asian 7750 based watch in 2 1/2 years of collecting.

I've had a look through The Zigmeister's posts and haven't come across any reference to this, any chance you could post a link to a breakdown/review that covers these extra gears, I just want to reassure myself before I commit.

Thanks

This is the same as the PAM212 and PAM253 layout which also use the Asian 7750 copy in this configuration. There are ETA 7750 versions as well, but I would imagine are similarly modified with Asian parts to move the subdial to 3.

The 9 subdial (running seconds) will have the most stress on it, and as it is unchanged from the default configuration, there should not be a problem.

Due to the Asian parts used to move the subdial, I don't see a huge advantage of getting an ETA 7750 over the Asian 7750.

Anyone know if ETA transfer gear parts are used in the ETA version of these type of watches (PAM212 / 253/ Ferrari) ?